remotely connect to a named instance using its Alias

• Hi,

I have created an alias for a named instance in my server, for instance SERVERTWO\MSSQL2008, Alias = TEST.

My instance and Alias are working under the same Port (1433) and it has permissions under my firewall. I can connect locally to my instance using its Alias, but when I try to connect remotely from a different node in my network it displays an error and the connection fails. If I put my named instance, it succesfully connects to my remote server, which means that the firewall rule that I created for port #1433 is working.

I have tried this from other node in my network:

SERVERTWO\TEST

TEST

Server_IP\TEST

Therefore, is there a way to remotely connect to a named instance using its Alias? :ermm:

I hope you can help me, Thanks!

• hiram.osiris (12/14/2011)

Hi,

I have created an alias for a named instance in my server, for instance SERVERTWO\MSSQL2008, Alias = TEST.

My instance and Alias are working under the same Port (1433) and it has permissions under my firewall. I can connect locally to my instance using its Alias, but when I try to connect remotely from a different node in my network it displays an error and the connection fails. If I put my named instance, it succesfully connects to my remote server, which means that the firewall rule that I created for port #1433 is working.

I have tried this from other node in my network:

SERVERTWO\TEST

TEST

Server_IP\TEST

Therefore, is there a way to remotely connect to a named instance using its Alias? :ermm:

I hope you can help me, Thanks!

I'm curious, you have a named instance listening on port 1433? This is unusual and unless you explicitly changed it after install is not possible..

Lets start with that, are you sure this instance is on port 1433?

CEWII

• Sorry about that, my named instance is connecting to a dynamic port.

• I would think that

TEST\MSSQL2008

or

ServerIP\MSSQL2008

Would work provided you have the Browser service running and the firewall is not blocking UDP 1434 AND the port that SQL is listening on.

CEWII

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply