Remote SQL server connection error : "Cannot generate SSPI context"

• Hi ,

I am getting below error while trying to connect sql server remotely:

Error : Cannot generate SSPI context

Can someone help on this , what may be the cause of this and how to resolve.

-----------------
    Aditya Rathour
    SQL DBA

Not Everything that is faced can be changed,
    but nothing can be changed until it is faced.

• Error : Cannot generate SSPI context

Can someone help on this , what may be the cause of this and how to resolve.

It can be caused by a lot of things - generally Kerberos, AD related. So a large number of potential causes.

It can be as simple as an expired password or something ugly needing Kerberos troubleshooting. You probably want to start weeding though this article as it covers many of the possible causes:

How to troubleshoot the "Cannot generate SSPI context" error message

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/811889

Sue

• We had this occur very recently. We had a developer leave the company and his login(s) and therefore permissions where removed. A dashboard that he created manifested the error when attempting to open it in a web page.

I don't know the precise solution but our IT staff resolved it instantly when we presented them with the issue. I figure they created a service account to be used in place of his login/credentials where needed.

• jshahan (8/24/2016)

We had this occur very recently. We had a developer leave the company and his login(s) and therefore permissions where removed. A dashboard that he created manifested the error when attempting to open it in a web page.

I don't know the precise solution but our IT staff resolved it instantly when we presented them with the issue. I figure they created a service account to be used in place of his login/credentials where needed.

Yes, thanks for posting back. It was just a disabled account being used that's all. Same as the expired password issue. The account is only useful for generating errors at that point.

Sue

• I have found similar question here, hope this will help you: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1265396-1550-1.aspx

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply