Remote Linked Server: SQL Server does not exist...

• Gurus,

Here's my situation:

1. Local SQL2000SP3 box attempting to link to physically remote SQL2000SP3 box.

2. Connectivity is via VPN.

3. The remote server is not in my domain.

4. While creation of the link succeeds, querying against the remote linked server nets:

Server: Msg 17, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

5. I can successfully register the remote box on my local box, using the same login and password. Queries work fine. That's the kicker that's causing my hairline to recede even faster than it naturally does.

6. I am using the GUI dialog in EM.

7. I am using the SQLOLEDB driver. I have named the linked server <ServerName>, but have set the data source to the linked server's IP.

8. For the Security tab, I have it set to use an explicit remote login and password, which are the same as that used to register the remote box in item 5.

9. The remote login has been bumped to sa on the remote box.

10. There is only one instance of SQL running on each of the two boxes.

11. I have tried the sp_addlinkedserver route, with the same results.

While we haven't ruled out a networking issue, I'm confused as to why I can register the remote server on my local server, but can't get the linked server to function.

Any help, ideas, good jokes, bad jokes, etc... would be greatly appreciated.

Frustrated,

SJTerrill

While we haven't ruled out a networking issue, I'm confused as to why I can register

• How are you connecting to the other server? Make sure you qualify the user with domain name\username. Also what is the security mode on the other server?

Shas3

• Thanks for the reply!

We're connecting using just SQL authentication. This doesn't also require a domain user on the remote machine, does it?

Another point I didn't mention! The remote box isn't a member of a domain.

SJTerrill

• Yes you are right, If it is SQL Authenticated then you don't need the Domain name. What is your Security mode configured on the other box? Just make sure its mixed mode

Shas3

• Shas,

Again, thanks for the response. The remote box is also SQL Server authentication only. I'm not sure that the mixed mode security will fix my woes.

The primary rubs are that this issue appears 'black box' AND that I can register the remote box from the local box but can't get response from a linked server configuration. We've done some reading, and feel that the end run might have to do with SQL Server's use of the NetBIOS ports 139 and 445 for communication between servers. That probably sounds bizarre, but it seems that the target (remote) server might be ignoring calls to this port from a linked server but NOT when we register the server on the local box and log in directly.

Am I totally on the wrong track, or is there some configuration option to open up these ports in SQL Server. The router on the remote side is already wide open on all ports.

Grrrr,

SJTerrill

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply