Remote distributor and monitoring connection to publisher

• Hello,

I'm currently working on setting up transactional replication with a remote distributor (and push subscriptions) on SQL 2008. This is all new to me, but I have the Pro SQL Server 2008 Replication book by Sujoy Paul, which has been very helpful up to now.

I have it all working beautifully, but I want to make sure that if the publisher and the distributor cannot communicate with each other for some reason then I get a warning of some kind.

To test this out we have temporarily denied access between the two servers, but nothing is complaining. Quite plainly nothing is being replicated anywhere, yet nor are there any errors coming up.

If no errors are occurring anywhere, then I can't set up an alert.

Does anybody have any bright ideas please?

Thanks,

Rachel.

• In case anybody's interested, I've now done this using tracer tokens.

I have a SQL agent job to insert a tracer token for the publication at regular intervals. If the connection to the distributor is lost, then the job fails and I get a notification.

I have also set up a job at the distributor which checks that the tracer tokens are arriving for the publication, and checks that they are getting sent to the subscriber successfully, and notifies me if not.

As a side effect of this, I have the tracer data which I can use to keep an eye out for any problems with increased latency.

Rachel.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply