Remote Desktop - The Joys

• Because of the current weather conditions in England, I am working remotely from an outlying depot to our headquarters. I am using Remote Desktop to access my machine at HQ and then remoting again to various servers within hq; the machine at the depot does not have the capability. The annoying thing is that I have to log off a server to use another program on my pc, log back on again. Off and on, off and on, off and on..........

Does anyone else have to do this regularly? How annoying is this?!!

Have you any other annoyances about working remotely?

Madame Artois

• I have done the before, and i was able to minimise the third RDP hop, so to speak, to minimise the server session to get back to the RDP session on my usual desktop without logging off. If you hover the mouse somewhere near the top middle of the screen you should get a title bar, you may have to mess about with pinning and unpinning to get it to work as you like.

Gethyn Elliswww.gethynellis.com

• Now I have tried that but I can only see the bar from my second hop, as it were, and not my third. If I diminish that I am back to my original workstation at the depot.

I cannot seem to diminish my third hop!!

Madame Artois

• RDP to you machine, Then RDp to the server, when signed into the server click the pin on first machine title bar at the top of the screen, so the button is NOT compressed.

Then move the mouse away and the title bar of second machine/session/hop should move away leaving the third Server RDP session which you can minimise taking you back to your initial RDP session...I just tried it and that worked for me.

Gethyn Elliswww.gethynellis.com

• Brilliant

It worked! Slightly less annoyed now!

Madame Artois

• That's the trick I've used. The annoyance, however, is likely worth the chance to work at home 😛

• I use a different app altogether for RDP. It seems to be more friendly about the double-hop thing and pinning/unpinning. Try VisionApp Remote Desktop.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I use mRemote that you can find athttp://mremote.org. Fantastic tool. Looks like they might have merged with VisionApp that Jason mentioned.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• CirquedeSQLeil (1/7/2010)

I use a different app altogether for RDP. It seems to be more friendly about the double-hop thing and pinning/unpinning. Try VisionApp Remote Desktop.

VisionApp is a gift from the gods!

But if you must use mstsc then upgrade to Windows 7 where you can move about and layer the session c ontrol tabs (the things at the top with the pin).

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• We are moving to Windows 7 shortly so hopefully my moans will be resolved!

Madame Artois

• 32-bit or 64-bit? If 64-bit your moans have only just begun.

For example, since 64-bit is the way of the future, is it not logical for the biggest network and VPN providers to support it? The main vendor beg to differ and do not support 64-bit on their VPN clients unless you completely replace your existing infrastructure.

Thankfully there is a handy help. A developer has kindly cloned the client and named it Shrew http://www.shrew.net. It is shareware but works really well and can import your other vpn client profile files!

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• Good grief. One step forward, two steps back!

Madame Artois

• Steve Jones - Editor (1/7/2010)

That's the trick I've used. The annoyance, however, is likely worth the chance to work at home 😛

I was working from home during the snow and I hated it. You had the same drudgery you get at work, but no-one there to chat to!

• paul.knibbs (1/20/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (1/7/2010)

That's the trick I've used. The annoyance, however, is likely worth the chance to work at home 😛

I was working from home during the snow and I hated it. You had the same drudgery you get at work, but no-one there to chat to!

Sounds like heaven... 😛

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• I've used remote desktop (with MSTSC) a lot over the last 8 years, with frequent need for multiple hops (often I have needed to work on a machine that's not allowed to see the subnet containing the firewall, so I can't go straight to that) even without considering working from home (which in the last couple of years I did a lot of). I found it difficult to switch from second hop back to first when I first started using it, but soon discovered that if I move the first hop from full screen to normal window (which I could do by right clicking on it on my local machine's taskbar) it became very easy indeed to minimise a session seen through it, and of course I could then switch the first hop back to full screen if I wanted it that way. Got used to it, and don't see it as a problem any more.

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply