Remote DBAs

• The government industry (all levels) City, County, State, and Federal. Not limiting to just them though. I have seen this managerial mistrust of working remotely in many arenas, both public and private. I have been in the IT businuess for over 28 years and most managers in my experience in all that time do not trust people working remotely. That is just the way they are. They are kind of funny that way.:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• Fear not Travis, there is hope...

here are some good stats I ran across while writing a quick blog post about telecommuting http://www.teleworkresearchnetwork.com/telecommuting-statistics

it seems the Government had an explosive growth rate in telecommuting jobs recently, so maybe you are next...The company I work for employs more people than most governments, and 4 levels of my management all work from home exclusively...next time I have an opening I'll DM you if your interested...

SQL Tips and Scripts
    SQLWorks Blog

• Thank you sir! I hope you are right, and that we are next, but i am not going to hold my breath waiting for them(managers) to embrace it either. 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• I like managers who insist that you be in the Office.

It means that my job can't be outsourced easily.

There is no reason why a DBA needs to be in the Office all the time and it can be very cost effective.

With telecommunications improving all the time, it gives the ability to get the best staff at a reasonable cost.

• jay-h (9/19/2007)

Remember...

If your job can be done from home, it can be done from India.

I suppose Steven King could write his next novel from home, and Tim Burton could draft his next screenplay from home (or anywhere else, for that matter). Doesn't necessarily mean their jobs are in danger of being offshored:-D.

Nice choice for a resurrection, Steve! Looking back, I've worked remote probably about 50% of the time over the past 10 years, with some positions being full-on remote, and others partially remote, traveling occasionally to be onsite. I primarily live on the "development" side of database work, so making effective use of online collaboration tools is essential. (I'm not convinced, though, that there is any more or less collaboration required for an operational DBA, as has been opined in some of the other comments).

-TroyK

• cs_troyk (10/3/2012)

jay-h (9/19/2007)

Remember...

If your job can be done from home, it can be done from India.

I suppose Steven King could write his next novel from home, and Tim Burton could draft his next screenplay from home (or anywhere else, for that matter). Doesn't necessarily mean their jobs are in danger of being offshored:-D.

Nice choice for a resurrection, Steve! Looking back, I've worked remote probably about 50% of the time over the past 10 years, with some positions being full-on remote, and others partially remote, traveling occasionally to be onsite. I primarily live on the "development" side of database work, so making effective use of online collaboration tools is essential. (I'm not convinced, though, that there is any more or less collaboration required for an operational DBA, as has been opined in some of the other comments).

-TroyK

I agree, the presumption that your job can be outsourced if it's something that you could do from home doesn't really make sense, the person taking over your job in India (or wherever) does not have your skills, experience and relationships, its just not a valid conclusion to make. I would encourage anyone looking to work from home to give it a shot, it's one of the benefits I value most about my current job. <shamelessplug> Just did a quick couple pages on how to approach your manager about making the jump to telecommuting on my new blog, link in sig </shamelessplug>

SQL Tips and Scripts
    SQLWorks Blog

• the person taking over your job in India (or wherever) does not have your skills, experience and relationships, its just not a valid conclusion to make.

True, but that's not the main reason, or really even a concern, that most companies offshore IT jobs nowadays. It's all about their bottom line. They can hire 10 Indians to our one IT worker and work them 14-16 hours a day and stick the difference in their pockets. Our experienced skill set is the least of their concerns in most cases.:w00t: People need to wake up with what is going on with companies being allowed to offshore American jobs while almost 25 million Americans are out of a job right now....WAKE UP AMERICA! 😀

• Remote DBA work is something that more employers need to evaluate as a legitimate option. Whether that remote work is a staff employee or some other company works for me. DBAs are typically remote to the server but the warm fuzzy of a body in chair in office is often more important to management.

Also keep in mind that not all remote dba work means that it is being offshored to people with lesser skills.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Also keep in mind that not all remote dba work means that it is being offshored to people with lesser skills.

This all depends on who you are talking to at the time and what the company's economic situation is at the time as well.. A DBA, or an IT manager, or the CIO, or even the CEO may give you surprisingly different responses to that statement. A DBA or even an IT manager may not be concerned with the company's bottom line, instead focusing more on skill set. CEO's and CIOs, however, might be focused on "more bang for the dollar" and less on skill set. Particularly, in these times.. 😀

• In my current job as a DBA I can work several days from home.

The way it works is that my employer trusts us that we deliver what we say.

I've worked at multiple companies where managers indeed want to see you as a false insurence that you do the work you're supposed to do.

This isn't the case. If you give somebody the responsibility and the trust you'll see that the employees get more productive, get more feeling with the company and have a mindset set to achieve a common goal.

Ofcourse there are people who abuse the system and these people are out of the picture.

I think it's really good that DBA's can work from home with the technology nowadays there's no reason not to work remote.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply