Remote Data Challenges

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Remote Data Challenges

• I was fortunate in that the operations team at Moneysupermarket had put in a huge amount of work pre-COVID to ensure that remote working was well supported and that we were all well equipped to do so.  It's part of company policy to allow remote working on at least 1 day a week.

Prior to COVID I deliberately kept my device usage separate with no linkage between the different devices.

• Work laptop is for work and nothing else
    • Home PC is for writing, programming and internet banking (still not keen on this, I've spent too long with SecOps and white/grey hat hackers)
    • Tablets and phone are for generalised internet activity.  No financial transactions of any sort on mobile devices.

No access to work stuff other than via VPN.

I appreciate that not everyone is as lucky with regard to equipment and workplace culture.

• I've been more fortunate than most, in preparation for this new mode of work. My boss allowed me to work in a local office, 1 day a week the last couple of years. I have a work laptop will a docking station, so I can plug a second monitor into it and perform my job. Normally I remote to my regular desktop 70 miles away, because the data transfer rates are far faster, than pulling the data down over the wire to my work laptop. (I've tested it, working only from the laptop is painfully slow.) My concern is how hot is it getting in the office 70 miles away? One of my colleagues who works in the local office, said he had to leave the office to work remotely, because they weren't bothering to turn on the air conditioning. That building was getting very hot.

But I know I'm the exception, not the rule. My employer had been so dead set against allowing people to work from home (WFH), they were caught off guard when they had to allow it. The infrastructure to allow for thousands of people to WFH simply wasn't there; the best they could do at the beginning was allow at most 200 people to do that. They've caught up and now I believe all non-essential people are WFH, but it took a while to get ready for what we're doing today.

I'm sure that my situation is likely typical of many organizations.

Rod

• We are up and running now but I had a couple of applications that took 6 weeks before they worked properly remotely. Now things are working correctly.

I know management are having a hell of a time keeping a track of everyone and have few tools for monitoring things like attendance which is testing some if their nerves. Other than that its been quite good. Before COVID though they fought tooth and nail to avoid any requests for (Work From Home)

I personally love working from home and gives me an opportunity to work alongside my wife which I enjoy. Also I'm saving about a day a week in commute time. When I bought the house I got fibre to the property and we have a small study that means I sit side by side with my wife so I have some kind of company as well but does mean I get pulled into some of her requirements (so a bit like the office anyway)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  Dalkeith.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  Dalkeith.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply