Remote Connectivity to Database

• Hi,

Can anyone suggest me the best solution to connect to my database from my desktop application in any machine through internet? which gives the best performance?.

is it a good option to register my network database server as a DNS and connect to it through internet?

is it possible to directly connect to a database in a webserver like connectionstring=servername=ip address, initial catalog=db;integrated security=true

Thanks in advance

• ok,

this is a very big topic

it really depends on who you are, what you are doing, how much risk you are prepared to take.

In any decent environment your database servers will be hidden inside a DMZ (basically an environment firewalled on all sides)

companies will then have client facing web servers or web services which act as the interface to the customer/user

if you allow your database server to be visible directly to the internet then welcome to trouble... imagine somone manages to find your server - and you've missed a security trick... they get access and run for example

exec xp_cmdshell 'format c:'

bye by server

don't allow your Database server to face the internet directly.

MVDBA

• Hi,

Thanks for the reply, this is a stock management system for retail outlets which works well with the client server model.

but when there are multiple outlets it becomes diffcult to manage it with a single network.

So would it be possible to allow access to the sqlserver only. ya the other possible way would be to use an middle interface like PHPMyAdmin. but it would be a lot of work to change the application to suit the interface. Even if i connect also i think it would be so slow for a desktop app. I may have to look for a webapp design to work this 🙁

Thanks again

• most of our web guys use WCF to provide a service exposed to the internet that can access the SQL server

MVDBA

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply