Relication Subscription Wizard Failed to Connect to Server mydbname\mssqlserver01

• I am trying to create a new replication subscription on a remote server which is hosted at an ISP

site from a database in our corporate network using the New Subscription Wizard.

Both are SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition databases and running on Windows 2003 servers. The

remote connection and port 1433 are enabled and I can connect and work from MS Server management studio happily. Plus can connect and work on the remote database using ODBC

connection.

But the Subscription Wizard is not letting me connect to the remote database. When I try adding

using the Add SQL Server Subscriber button, provide the server/instance name and login (SQL

Server Authentication) details the following error message is displayed on a popup window:

<----------------- Cannot connect to mydbname\mssqlserver01 (Note: this is my remote database and instance
    name)

Additional Information:

Failed to connect to server mydbname\mssqlserver01 (Microsoft.SQLServer.ConnectionInfo)
    A network-related or instance specific error occured while establishing a connection to SQL Server.
    The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that
    SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider:SQL NEtwork Interfaces, error: 26
    - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) ( Microsoft SQL Server)

-------->

Can you help?

[P.S.: Please note that I have also setup a subscription to another remote database using the same method without any problem. The diffrerence in this is that the databases are created in the default instance.]

• Found the solution:

Go to SQL Server Configuration Manager of your client computer (In my case one in the corporate network)

Select SQL Native Client Configuration

Select Aliases

Add a new alias:

Alias Name: mydbname\mssqlserver01 (this is remote server and instance name)

Port Number: 1433 (which is default port)

ProtocolL TCP/IP

Alias Server: IP address of the server

Save it. There is no need to restart any thing.

Try now creating subscription and add mydbname\mssqlserver01 as server name. Magic.

• Hridaya Thikey (7/28/2009)

Found the solution:

Go to SQL Server Configuration Manager of your client computer (In my case one in the corporate network)

Select SQL Native Client Configuration

Select Aliases

Add a new alias:

Alias Name: mydbname\mssqlserver01 (this is remote server and instance name)

Port Number: 1433 (which is default port)

ProtocolL TCP/IP

Alias Server: IP address of the server

Save it. There is no need to restart any thing.

Try now creating subscription and add mydbname\mssqlserver01 as server name. Magic.

🙂

This is worked fine!!! Thanks a lot used in replication between 2012 and 2008!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply