Relational Model versus XML

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Relational Model versus XML

• I'd like to see the performance of the XML solution.

Also, I would think the structure of your website is known, so a relational model is preferred.

Curious to see the debate that will follow 🙂

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Simply I guessed XML and got it wrong.

--
    Dineshbabu
    Desire to learn new things..

• Koen Verbeeck (1/23/2013)

I'd like to see the performance of the XML solution.

Also, I would think the structure of your website is known, so a relational model is preferred.

+1

(yes, performance was one thing came to my mind, OR considering the data is very less and and couple of users are accessing [not at the same time], but still... which (type of) university will be thinking to build a website in such a way? (its a question not rhetorical))

ww; Raghu
    --
    The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.

• Hmm. I'm with Koen - I'd think you would know the schema to support your website.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Raghavendra Mudugal (1/23/2013)

Koen Verbeeck (1/23/2013)

+1

(yes, performance was one thing came to my mind, OR considering the data is very less and and couple of users are accessing [not at the same time], but still... which (type of) university will be thinking to build a website in such a way? (its a question not rhetorical))

+1

As the type of university I can imagine only "Shepherd University" from an old communist-time joke. Sorry, I'm not able to write the joke in english.

See, understand, learn, try, use efficient
    © Dr.Plch

• What a stupid question. How can you possibly answer it with the limited details provided?

...One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that ones work is terribly important.... Bertrand Russell

• GPO (1/24/2013)

What a stupid question. How can you possibly answer it with the limited details provided?

I first thought it was a joke 😀

"Pffft, who uses XML anyway?"

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Koen Verbeeck (1/23/2013)

+1

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I got this question right, but only because there isn't enough information to make an choice about one over the other.

The true answer should be "Either is a candidate at this point, due to insufficient information".

• I think the correct answer should be worded slightly differently: "Either one can be appropriate" (italics used to emphasize changed part).

If forced to make a choice based on the limited information given, my second choice would be a relational design with some XML columns for the less- and un-structured data.

(My first choice would be to first read the documentation and conduct some interviews)

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Hugo Kornelis (1/24/2013)

I think the correct answer should be worded slightly differently: "Either one can be appropriate" (italics used to emphasize changed part).

If forced to make a choice based on the limited information given, my second choice would be a relational design with some XML columns for the less- and un-structured data.

(My first choice would be to first read the documentation and conduct some interviews)

+1

I think there is a missing answer "Both together is appropriate" which I feel is probably the correct answer based on the poor question. In reality you would probably have a mostly relational database with some XML as required for some of the unstructured content. As such I went for relational and got it wrong as I wouldn't choose a pure XML repository to drive a website. You need a fair bit of data stored relationally. I don't mind getting questions wrong as it helps you to learn, but this is a pretty bad question...

• Got it right as I thought that "either" was the most probable answer.

Like most people are saying here I think the real answer is "it depends".

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply