Reinstalling with a different version

• I have a SQL Server running Enterprise version. It should have had Standard Edition installed. Has anyone ever uninstalled Enterprise and then installed Standard without starting from scratch? My preference would be to wipe the box and start over, but the application owner won't go for that right now.

Aunt Kathi Data Platform MVP
    Author of Expert T-SQL Window Functions
    Simple-Talk Editor

• Have not, but my guess would be that it's ok. Good thing is if its not, they'll have to let you format!

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Haven't done that yet but, I've had problems with the registry with 6.5 / 7.0.

The uninstall in 7, didn't cleanup the registry and I couldn't put 6.5 on. (Completely my fault for not doing a full server backup, I was testing an upgrade for a client). I ended up having to reinstall 4.0

My point is that 7.0 uninstall doesn't cleanup the registry. If you rely on the server for other purposes, you might want a full cold backup. (CYA)

Fullbackup, detach the databases and hold them off somewhere. Uninstall, Install, add service packs and then reattach the databases.

good luck

John Zacharkan

John Zacharkan

• Well, worst case scenario, all you will have to do is make database backups of all the databases, uninstall, install the other version, and restore the backups.

Yeah, I know its not as slick as detaching and reattaching the databases, but hey, it works 90 percent of the time... right??? guys??? (crickets...)

/me runs...

edit - someday I'll learn to type, until then, I'll stick with being a DBA.

Edited by - void on 02/11/2003 11:47:17 AM

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply