Reindexing Necessity

• Here is my situation. I have a clustered primary key and several nonclustered indexes on a large table. I have to modify one of the columns in the PK, going to bigint from int. So what I am wondering is if this is the procedure that I need to follow in order to do things the best and fastest?

1. Remove the PK

2. Modify the column from int to bigint

3. Readd the PK

4. Reindex all the remaining nonclustered indexes

Thx again...

• No.

Modifying the clustered index will rebuild all nonclustered indexes. The procedure you have there will rebuild all the nonclustered indexes 3 times. Far from fast.

Drop all nonclustered indexes first. Then make the necessary changes to the clustered index (in this case the pk), then recreate all the nonclustered indexes. That way you're only rebuilding them once.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thx. Out of curiosity, can I ask why they get rebuilt 3X? I assume one is when readd the PK it will rebuild them and then in my last step I had rebuild them. But that's just two. Where's the third?

• I believe the first will be when you remove the PK. Since it's a clustered index, the non-clustered indexes use the PK as the unique identifier. By removing the PK, the non-clustered indexes must be rebuild using a rowID instead of the PK.

• be careful how you remove your PK. If you script it with a drop, dropping a clustered index will delete the table.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When you realize you've dug yourself into a hole....Step 1...stop digging.

• I think you'd be better copying the data into a new table, with the changed data type, then building nonclustered indexes, then renaming the old, and rename the new.

If you have constraints, you should be able to script them out and run a disable,enable on this before/after the copy.

• Excellent idea....and safer. 🙂

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When you realize you've dug yourself into a hole....Step 1...stop digging.

• Also have you considered the fact that changing of data type on a primary key wont be allowed unless the corresponding foreign key data type also is not of the same type.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am just an another naive wannabe DBA trying to learn SQL Server

• I just dropped a clustered PK on a table (without nonclustereds) last week and it did not drop the whole table. Are you sure about this? I guess I can test it, but I'm almost positive that's what I did...

• Whisper9999 (3/8/2011)

Thx. Out of curiosity, can I ask why they get rebuilt 3X? I assume one is when readd the PK it will rebuild them and then in my last step I had rebuild them. But that's just two. Where's the third?

First after removing the PK (step 1)

Second after adding it back (step 3)

Third when explicitly reindexed (step 4)

Personal Motto: Why push the envelope when you can just open it?

If you follow the direction given HERE[/url] you'll likely increase the number and quality of responses you get to your question.

Jason L. Selburg
  • ChazMan (3/8/2011)

be careful how you remove your PK. If you script it with a drop, dropping a clustered index will delete the table.

Sorry, but this is incorrect. 😀

Personal Motto: Why push the envelope when you can just open it?

If you follow the direction given HERE[/url] you'll likely increase the number and quality of responses you get to your question.

Jason L. Selburg
  • No I am not speaking about indexes.

I am saying that if you try to change the data type of a primary key (as you mentioned earlier) then it will fail if the corresponding foreign key data type is different.

So basically you will have to drop the relationship,change the data type of the primary key(in your case to bigint),change the data type of the foreign key (if any to bigint) and then recreate the relationship.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am just an another naive wannabe DBA trying to learn SQL Server

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply