reindexing causing huge problems

• Hi there,

We have a job that will go thru and reindex a particular database on the weekends. The problem we are having is that the LDF file will grow upwards of 50-60gb for a 3gb database which typically brings things to a screeching halt. The database is currently using recovery model full, set to auto create statistics, shrink and update statistics.

Someone else had told me that I could need to switch the database to simple recovery, do the reindex and then switch it back but that sounds like a workaround and not a solution.

Server in question is running Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.3054.00 (Intel X86) Mar 23 2007 16:28:52 Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

thanks,

Chris

• Are you backing up the log regularly? Maybe try right before the reindex?

The reindex should use 1.5-2x the data space and it's logged, so there's movement, but I wouldn't expect a 10x usage of log space. Unless you're horribly fragmented, or very full with a low fillfactor on the reindex.

• Can you post the Job/proc?

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Check this earlier post. It may help.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic474364-146-1.aspx

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply