Regular Patches

• Elbow Patches

It looks like the SQL Server team is getting more into the regular swing of things. As I've been compiling the Builds pages, I've learned a few things about SQL Server patches and Microsoft has made some changes. It was confusing to me, which may be just me, but I decided to try and explain a little what I've learned. Or maybe what's confused me.

ISM - Yet another acronym we have to deal with. The SQL Server Global Release Services Team blog shows they are moving to the Incremental Servicing Model, hence the new acronym. The big thing with this new model is a regular, every other month cumulative update that rolls up all patches since the last update. That allows you plan on these releases and ready your testing schedule accordingly. They will also be releasing on-demand hot fixes based on customer needs. Customer in this case being someone that has paid for support.

The other thing that has confused people, including myself, is the build numbers. We have seen hot fixes for the same fix, but with different builds. For example, the "FIX: The Check Database Integrity task and the Execute T-SQL Statement task in a maintenance plan may lose database context in certain circumstances in SQL Server 2005" hot fix can be KB 934458 or KB 934459.

So what's the difference?

The GDR release, in KB 934458, is for builds 3042 through 3053. The QFE release, same patch, is in KB 934459, for builds 3150 through 3158. So what is the difference between a GDR and a QFE?

I've seen a couple explanations (Aaron's is good), but the quick one is GDR is the lower number, a fix that is a high enough priority that every one should install. QFEs are higher numbers, reserved for those that need the fix.

Now, here's the kicker. If you move from the GDR path to the QFE patch, meaning you move into the 31xx range of builds, you can't go back. You're stuck on the QFE "train" as it was put, and need to apply those patches moving forward.

This is because the build numbers are higher. So it kind of makes sense that the more general, "for everyone" release is the lower number.

I'm guessing these all synch up in the Service Packs and then you get into a new build numbering scheme. Since we're now at 3159 (or 3054), we're more than halfway to the end if this numbering scheme. Or maybe we'll get an incremental roll up here in the next month or so to

• GDR, QFE, ISM, KB... WTF?

-----------------

C8H10N4O2

• I know I am all confused by all of this myself. Good article. Yesterday I went to Microsofts Website in downloads for SQL 2005 and ALL I see is SP2... no post SP2 patches.... Maybe I am missing something.  At this point I have one SQL 2005 install with SP1 and two hitfixes for issues I have. I used to be in the mode of looking at applying a SP a few weeks after it's release in test but now I think I will start waiting a bit longer.

• Concurrent build numbers can't be easy to track internally. Though the ISM idea sounds great, and it is nice to see regular Service Packs, they need to start focusing on clarity for the customer. Aside from hot fixes there should never be a case where the build numbers are that far out of synch.

If they spread that across their product range, even a medium size company dependent on techynology would end up with a special position to manage trackjing versions. Hum...maybe its an economic boom waiting to happen.

• Steve, isn't this exactly what you've been asking for for months now?

• Wow, I wasn't aware of the dual numbering convention.  I guess I've always lucked out and got the right patch - or have I? 

What about KB933097.  It's advertised as a SQL2005 SP2 hotfix rollup.  But it is version 9.003152.00 based on the KB article.  The KB makes no mention that there is another rollup or that the number convention is for the 31XX series.  Is this rollup being used to bring all versions back on track starting at version 3152 or should I look for a rollup for the 30XX versions?

• This blog post from the PSS (Product Support Services) team does a great job (in my opinion) at "un-muddying" (is that a word?) the SP2/GDR water.

http://blogs.msdn.com/psssql/archive/2007/04/06/post-sql-server-2005-service-pack-2-sp2-fixes-explained.aspx

• This is close to what I've been asking for. I was hoping for quarterly service packs, but rollup hotfixes work just as well.

Plus they shouldn't have features!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply