Regarding Mirroring setup - TCP/IP network issue

• Hi Team,

I tried setting up DB mirroring between PRD & DR side and I am getting the below error.
    I checked firewall, all good, connected via telnet from PROD to DR and vice versa.
    Msg 1418, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    The server network address "TCP://199.199.99.99:5022" can not be reached or does not exist. Check the network address name and that the ports for the local and remote endpoints are operational.

Any idea what else can cause this problem?.....I have had this error many times and each time I troubleshoot the issue/resolution is different, so I couldn't find the exactly solution any time.

Both my PROD and DR SQL Server running under "Local Systems", not sure if this is the problem?

Can someone provide any hint.  Thanks.

Regards,
    SQLisAwe5oMe.

• SQLisAwE5OmE - Friday, January 12, 2018 2:37 PM

Hi Team,

I tried setting up DB mirroring between PRD & DR side and I am getting the below error.
    I checked firewall, all good, connected via telnet from PROD to DR and vice versa.
    The server network address "TCP://199.199.99.99:5022" can not be reached or does not exist. Check the network address name and that the ports for the local and remote endpoints are operational.

Any idea what else can cause this problem?.....I have had this error many times and each time I troubleshoot the issue/resolution is different, so I couldn't find the exactly solution any time.

Both my PROD and DR SQL Server running under "Local Systems", not sure if this is the problem?

Congrats. This is the most frustrating part of configuring mirror and I love it. Pinal Dave blogged about this extensively at sqlauthority.com but unfortunately I can't find it at this moment.

I assume that you had followed Microsoft's mirroring guide to the letter.

Try these (not in any particular order)
    1. on each box, try to telnet to port 5022 of the partner. If 5022 is up and listening, you will get a blank screen - meaning you can connect to it;
    2. use hostname, and add an entry to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts, then use 'TCP://hostname:5022' instead;
    3. query endpoint (select * from sys.endpoints) and make sure endpoint exists;
    4. if you used certificate for authentication, check and compare certificate thumb prints on both partners. Sometimes, after repeated attempts, there will be a mismatch;
    5. create a rule for port 5022 on Windows firewall;
    6. turn off firewall completely on both partners;
    7. delete endpoints, certificates and logins that you created for mirroring and start from scratch;
    8. if you have support with Microsoft, let them figure it out free of charge.

Update: also use 'netstat -na' on each host to check whether there are free tcp/ip ports available. When all 65000 ports are exhausted, the partners won't be able to talk.

Hi Team,

can you telnet to the port and ip from the partner server?
    verify if the local firewalls are enabled and also whether there is a corporate firewall between the 2 endpoints

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Hi Team,

Taking further, you need to have a service account for running both the SQL servers.
    Mirroring configuration then needs that account for the set up.
    Also , check if you can connect to either of the SQL servers from INSIDE either servers through SSMS.
    Make sure the ports for SQL server are bi directionally open.

• Arsh - Monday, February 19, 2018 11:11 AM

Taking further, you need to have a service account for running both the SQL servers.
    Mirroring configuration then needs that account for the set up.
    Also , check if you can connect to either of the SQL servers from INSIDE either servers through SSMS.
    Make sure the ports for SQL server are bi directionally open.

Best to use the same AD Account at principal and mirrored.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply