Refresh development databases

• I need to refresh development databases (development, staging, user acceptance, ect) from a nightly to weekly basis. I am using "database/object transfer". I am sending the data accross a lan line.

The databases (data only) range from 1.5gig to 8gig. With some databases I want data only, others I want the entire application database.

Is there a more effcient method? It is starting to take too long (3-4+ hours).

• I use the backup restore method to move the backups. This is nice because if I need to to the development db twice in one day, I am not going across the wire twice. I already have the backup.

I use DTS to manage this. You can get an exmaple if you look at my pushftp article.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• This is what I do. I backup the prod dbase. Use a VB Script to move the backup. Then I restore on the Dev end. You can even zip up the backups prior to moving them to the dev server to increase move time. -jG

-JG

-JG

• Hey,

I was going to create a new topic here, but thought I'd jump on the end of this one as it kind of takes the initial question a step further.

We also need to have the dev server refreshed, and this is simple enough through backup & restore. However, I am interested to know, what methods/procedures you guys undertake when the schema on the dev server has been modified and it requires refreshed data from the prod server? We can't backup and restore to the same DB as the schema changes would be lost...

I have a few thoughts on different ways to do this, but thought I'd get an idea from more experienced heads on this before I make my choice!

Cheers,

Clive

Clive Strong

clivestrong@btinternet.com

• Definently sounds like a DTS process. This way you can map the old schema to the new one and import the data to the new schema. You can also build logic to only process differences. Or and external app could do the same thing except you have to build the tranformations directly in the code.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• If you read my series on Version Control, you will see that I have everything in flight. If a developer is testing something and hasn't scripted it or let me know, then they must recreate it. I warn them before I do it, but I do the same backup and restore and then rollout the changes to the dev database. May take a few times, but this is a relatively rare occurrance. We refresh dev every 3-4 months and do QA every week.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Thanks Steve! Very good series. Given me a few idea's to chew over...

Clive

Clive Strong

clivestrong@btinternet.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply