Referencing a SQLCMD variable in a Post Deployment script using SqlPackage

• Ive got a Database project running in JetBrains Rider.

The project publishes a DACPAC to create or update a target database.

Now I have a set of reference data scripts which run (in Create mode) and these are reference through

the Script.PostDeployment which looks like this:

:r .\LoadDeviceConnectionType.sql

:r .\LoadUser.sql

:r .\LoadConversionType.sql

:r .\LoadChannelType.sql

:r .\CreateSwaggerUser.sql

Now i want to be able to pass a SQLCMD variable called 'Deploy' so that each script will only be executed depending on

the variable. So for example LoadUser would run like this

If $(DeployType) = 'Create'

BEGIN

INSERT [dbo].[User] ([UserID], [UserName]) VALUES (NEWID(), N'Swagger')

end

And therefore I would run sqlpackage as follows:

SqlPackage /Action:Publish /p:CreateNewDatabase=False /p:DropObjectsNotInSource=True /SourceFile:"C:\Users\user1\source\repos\metrology\TinytagExplorerMe

trology\Logger_Groups.Build\bin\Debug\netstandard2.0\Logger_Groups.Build.dacpac" /TargetDatabaseName:Logger_Groups_CI /TargetServerName:"localhost\SQLEXPRESS" /v:DeployType="Create"

However i cant get the project to compile as i get the following error

Incorrect syntax near If.

How can i set a SQLCMD variable in my scripts that can be called from SqlPackage?

• Have you added the variable to the SQLCMD Variables collection in Database Properties?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• No I havent added the variable to the SQLCMD variable collection in Database Properties

I am using jet brains rider. Do you know how I can add the variable into the project here?

• I have never used Jetbrains rider, so no. But as database properties are created in VS before the creation of any DACPACs, I suspect that it cannot be done.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply