Reduction of installation time of sql server 2008 R2 Express

• The installation of SQL Server 2008 R2 Express on a virtual machine takes around 12-15 minutes, whereas on a regular PC, it takes around 5-6 minutes. Are there any options to reduce the installation time ?

The following approaches have been attempted:

Via command line:

SQLEXPR_x64_ENU /ACTION=Install /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /QS /FEATURES=SQLENGINE /INSTANCENAME=PMP /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" /AddCurrentUserAsSQLAdmin /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="BUILTIN\ADMINISTRATORS" /TCPENABLED=1 /NPENABLED=1

Using Configuration file:

SQLEXPR_X64_ENU.exe /ConfigurationFile=D:\sqlserver\ConfigurationFile.ini /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS="1" /QS

• Why even bother about the installation time of a piece of obsolete software? SQL 2008 R2 has been out of support for quite a few years now.

In my home lab, installing SQL 2022 Developer Edition (which is a lot more than Express) on a VM, takes. hm, I don't know exactly how many minutes, but I don't think 12-15, rather 5-7.

Obviously, the underlying hardware matters a lot.

[font="Times New Roman"]Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se[/font]

• I agree with Erland - installing 2008 R2 in 2023? yikes... BUT you may have a good reason, so do what you gotta do, but that's never fun installing such old software.

But if you want the install faster, you need to find the bottleneck. Is your memory getting maxed out during install? is CPU getting maxed out during install? is Disk I/O getting maxed out during install? Is the disk faster on your computer vs the server? is the CPU faster on your computer vs server? more CPU's on your computer vs the server?

Now, comparing install times between 2 completely different systems is not really relevant either. What I mean is the OS could be slowing down the install so that other processes can take higher priority. OS differences along with hardware differences are the 2 biggest impacts to software install performance differences. You are really trying to compare apples and oranges here...

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply