Reducing 3 statements to 1

• Hi, I have 3 statements below which I'm sure should really be one statement but I can't see how to do it. Can anyone help?

selectTransactionID,

sum(Agent_Perc) as SumGrossCommPerc

into#CommGross

frommstt_Commissions Comm

whereComm.CommissionType = 1

andComm.GrossOrNet = 'G'

groupby TransactionID

selectTransactionID,

sum(Agent_Perc) as SumNetCommPerc

into#CommNet

frommstt_Commissions Comm

whereComm.CommissionType = 1

andComm.GrossOrNet = 'N'

groupby TransactionID

selectTransactionID,

1 as CommissionType,

SumGrossCommPerc,

SumNetCommPerc

into#CommAll

from#CommGross gross

left outer join #CommNet net on gross.TransactionID = net.TransactionID

• Sure! coming right up...

select TransactionID,

sum(case when Comm.GrossOrNet = 'G' then Agent_Perc else 0 end) as SumGrossCommPerc,

sum(case when Comm.GrossOrNet = 'N' then Agent_Perc else 0 end) as SumNetCommPerc,

from mstt_Commissions Comm

where Comm.CommissionType = 1

group by TransactionID

You could select this INTO #comm_all if you still need that temp table for something.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I'm not sure how you can combine these when they are all going to separate temp tables. The issue is that if these are used later, then combining them might cause issues.

Otherwise, you can use what's been suggested

• Thanks! I thought it would involve a case statement but I couldn't think how to code it. Cheers!

• Another solution, very similar to Matt's except this one filter to only get the records that have a gross or net = G or N.

SELECT TransactionID,

CommissionType,

SUM(CASE WHEN GrossOrNet = 'G' THEN Agent_Perc ELSE 0 END) AS [SumGrossCommPerc],

SUM(CASE WHEN GrossOrNet = 'N' THEN Agent_Perc ELSE 0 END) AS [SumNetCommPerc],

FROM mstt_Commissions

WHERE (CommissionType = 1 AND GrossOrNet = 'G') OR

(CommissionType = 1 AND GrossOrNet = 'N')

GROUP BY TransactionID, CommissionType

• Adam Haines (3/18/2008)

Another solution, very similar to Matt's except this one filter to only get the records that have a gross or net = G or N.

SELECT TransactionID,

CommissionType,

SUM(CASE WHEN GrossOrNet = 'G' THEN Agent_Perc ELSE 0 END) AS [SumGrossCommPerc],

FROM mstt_Commissions

GROUP BY TransactionID, CommissionType

Good thought - but grouping by Commissiontype will now go back to putting the gross and the net on separate lines. How about...

SELECT TransactionID,

FROM mstt_Commissions

GROUP BY TransactionID

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Good thought - but grouping by Commissiontype will now go back to putting the gross and the net on separate lines. How about...

SELECT TransactionID,

FROM mstt_Commissions

GROUP BY TransactionID

Works for me... how bout you Alan?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply