Reduce core on SQL Server 2005

• Hi, I'm new on SQL Server and I've never administered it.

In my company is now necessary to reduce core to SQL Server 2005 and I don't know how I can do it.

Could someone help me please?

Thanks a lot.

• Do what? You're going to have to give more info.

Do you mean reducing the number of cores SQL uses?

Do you mean reinstalling Windows with the server core option

Something else?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I mean reducing the number of core sql uses

• Is this for licensing purposes?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• yes

• Then you'll need to disable the cores in the server's BIOS, If the cores are visible to Windows, they have to be licensed. Ask the sysadmins to do the BIOS changes.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (11/23/2015)

Then you'll need to disable the cores in the server's BIOS, If the cores are visible to Windows, they have to be licensed. Ask the sysadmins to do the BIOS changes.

i though setting processor affinity was often used to limit the number of cores SQL actually uses? isn't that an acceptable modification to comply with licensing?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• But we use server also for other services. If I reduce the core from bios, may I compromise the performance of my server? I thought I can reduce the core from software.....

• It limits which processors queries run on, it's not sufficient for reducing number of cores licensed.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/learn-more/brief-licensing-by-cores.aspx

You have the following two options for licensing under the per core licensing model:

1. Individual Virtual OSE (Virtual Machine). You can license based on individual virtual OSEs within the server that are running the server software. If you choose this option, for each virtual OSE in which you run the server software, you need a number of licenses equal to the number of virtual cores in the virtual OSE, subject to a minimum requirement of four licenses per virtual OSE. In addition, if any of these virtual cores is at any time mapped to more than one hardware thread, you need a license for each additional hardware thread mapped to that virtual core. Those licenses count toward the minimum requirement of four licenses per virtual OSE.

2. Physical Cores on a Server. You can license based on all of the physical cores on the server. If you choose this option, the number of licenses required equals the number of physical cores on the server multiplied by the applicable core factor located in the SQL Server Core Factor Table.

Gail Shaw

• antocasu (11/23/2015)

But we use server also for other services. If I reduce the core from bios, may I compromise the performance of my server?

Probably, yes

I thought I can reduce the core from software.....

You can set processor affinity, which limits which cores SQL will use, but you still have to license all the physical/virtual cores visible in the server.

Gail Shaw

• I don't understand why physical core....... If I have other services on this server I reduce their performance, isn't it?

• If you remove cores then yes, you will probably reduce performance. If you want to keep all the cores, then you need to licence all of them. Your choice. Lower performance or higher licensing fees.

Gail Shaw

• OK,I understand.

Thank's a lot.

• I called Microsoft to clarify this, Gail is absolutely right. At a previous job we did a server consolidation, so I ordered a single very beefy box with a single quad core CPU. The guy who wrote the purchase req saw that an additional CPU was only $400 and ordered one. *POOF!* Instant doubling of licensing cost.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply