redistribute by total dollar value (not by count)

• Table X:

Consumer bigint (PK)

CurrentGroup bigint

DollarValue money

I want to redistribute records in the above table to 4 different groups (currently not in table X) equally by the sum of the DollarValue (not a record count).

Table X can have up to 5,000 records with a dollar value ranging from $10.00 to $10,000.00

I know the dollar values will never equal across all of the 4 groups, but it needs to be as close as possible.

Redistributing by a total count is easy, but I cannot come up with a good strategy based on the SUM of DollarValue.

• If the dollar values are randomly distributed across rows then any sample (of sufficient size, about 35 for reasonable precision and confidence) should have an average $/cust that's close to the population mean.  The alternative would be to "jackknife" (take-one-out put-one-in, repeat...) values between the sample sets to get the averages closer to the mean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackknife_resampling

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• What is your question?

And if you're looking for a coded solution, please provide some sample data (as insert statements) and desired results based on that sample data.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply