Redgate sqlbackup problem

• Hi all

Was not sure where to post this, so apologies if its not in the right area.

I'm trying to create a job which will restore databases using Redgate.

If I execute this, I get an error, but if I just print the @SQL, then paste it after an Exec sqlpbackup, it works.  I have to add that my filename has underscores and parenthesis in it (sigh), but I have no control over that

SELECT @SQL = '-SQL "RESTORE DATABASE ' + DatabaseName + ' FROM DISK = ''''G:\Backup\TestDB\' + Filename + ''''' WITH NORECOVERY, REPLACE "'

,@Restore_ID = RestoreID

FROM OH_Test.[dbo].[Restore_Files]

WHERE DatabaseName LIKE 'MyDb'

AND ToBeRestored = 'Y'

AND CHARINDEX('FULL', Filename) > 0

EXECUTE master..sqlbackup @SQL

Error returned is Syntax error: 'G:\Backup\TestDB\FULL_(local)_MyDB_20190427_150000.sqb''' after ''

So, I think its to do with the quotation marks.  But that doesn't really answer why my print statement, when used, works.

Print statement returns:

-SQL "RESTORE DATABASE MyDB FROM DISK = ' 'G:\Backup\FULL_(local)_MyDB_20190427_150000.sqb' ' WITH NORECOVERY, REPLACE "

Which then I can execute as

EXECUTE master..sqlbackup '-SQL "RESTORE DATABASE MyDB FROM DISK = ' 'G:\Backup\FULL_(local)_MyDB_20190427_150000.sqb' ' WITH NORECOVERY, REPLACE "'

I hope that makes sense

thank you

• Out of interest, why not use the GUI? Looks like your statement should be this though:

SELECT @SQL = '-SQL ''RESTORE DATABASE ' + DatabaseName + ' FROM DISK = ''G:\Backup\TestDB\' + Filename + ''' WITH NORECOVERY, REPLACE "' ...

In your PRINT statement you have '...FROM DISK = ' 'G:\Backup\FULL...' ' which isn't valid, you've open and closed the quotes before providing your value for DISK.

Edit: Side note, you can find support on the Red Gate products here.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by  Thom A.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply