Redgate SQL Compare

• Hello all,

I frequently use Redgate SQL Compare for DB comparisons in my client's environment. I got a request today for client saying that they want to do DB comparison only based on user permissions/indexes. I tried to fulfil that using different options in project options but unfortunately getting lot of data than I need. Does anyone know what options should I check/uncheck to meet above requirements? Command-line answer would also work for me. But comparison should only be based on permissions/indexes. I mean I want two separate reports one based on permissions only and the other one based on indexes only.

Please let me know if this is possible to achieve using  Redgate SQL Compare.

Thanks for your help! 

• There isn't an easy way to do this. Compare looks for schema differences, and reports on those.

An index is part of a table definition in SQL Compare. The index can't exist without the table, so it's not a construct on its own. The same thing for permissions on objects. Those aren't a construct on their own, but are inherently linked to the objects themselves.

You could certainly could get the deployment script and then examine the index and permission items that are different, or delete out the other items, but it's not simple or easy

• Thanks Steve! Appreciate your response.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply