Recruiters and HR people

• After working many long years in one company i thought this is the time to move on. After few interviews I found out what we can do and what recruiters have in mind are completely different. Recruiters may not have idea other than how big the commission they can get etc etc.

Is it ok really to interviewing company to give us some maths tests even though you are applying for SSRS/SSIS reporting role. I have a maths degree but recruitment agent told me (HR informed him) I failed the aptitude test. I did a test paper myself and (with answer sheet) and I know I would have passed. On another occasion recruitment agent (Regarding Excel function) asked the question entirely wrong way. I was upset at that point and told him I don't know the answer and stopped the call there and then. Another instance recruitment agent told me wrong information, wrong palace of interview as well as company really doesn't want to interview me as I am looking for permanent place rather than 9 month contract.

is this happening only to me or is this a normal behavior? I just gave up looking for jobs through agents and wanted to approch the companies directly.

• But why do you think that he "asked the question entirely wrong way" ? It could be a way that you simply not aware of. And how you could obtain right answer sheet ?

Yes, mishaps take place sometimes, really. But not as often as with your case. Maybe you should think critically about your abilities and better prepare for interviews?

• I had a similar paper with an answer sheet which I tries. It was provided by the recruitment agent.. BTW there were no questions about what I can do SQL report wise. It was just a maths/logic aptitude test. In year 2012 I completed a MSC in Astrophysics (QMUL) with merit. Prior to that I did OU Maths course to refresh myself. I am not sure how I failed this aptitude test.

For the Excel question, Ok he supposed to ask about Lookup function which has 2 syntax forms. (Vector and Array). He asked me "In Excel Sheet there are 2 forms. Where it comes from."- I said I don't know. He said it comes from Lookups. And Asked me Do I know that? I am not sure if that is the same as asking about 2 syntax forms from Lookup function.

In any case If I am working 15 years in IT and self taught many software tools, you think I can't work in Excel. I used Excel lot as well.

Ah well. I will try few more and see.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply