Recovery model type of the database keeps changing

• no probs!:satisfied:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• We had this exact problem and i've just found out it was me loggin into Quest Spotlight for SQL Server!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant believe this software can change the recovery model of a database... Surely that cant be right????? :crazy:

• Perhaps it's a bit obvious, but could you contact your application vendor about this? Are they doing some bulk data import overnight and are "helpfully" changing the database to simply recovery mode?

You can also modify their stored procedure and include a call to the extended stored proc called "xp_event" to log a message to the SQL and Windows event logs when the proc is called. At least then you'll know an exact time, etc as well.

• w.johnson is absolutely correct. I found this out when my log backups started failing and I received emails telling me that the database was not in "Full" mode. Took awhile to figure out it was indeed Spotlight doing this to me!

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• w.johnson (2/28/2008)

We had this exact problem and i've just found out it was me loggin into Quest Spotlight for SQL Server!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant believe this software can change the recovery model of a database... Surely that cant be right????? :crazy:

Any piece of "diagnostic software" that changes the environment it is supposed to be monitoring would hit the "circular filing device" faster than I can uninstall it from the server. That sounds about as reassuring as those "pc doctor" self-diagnostic tools: most are the cause of their own detected issues. Uninstall them and *poof* - problem solved....

sounds like Spotlight needs to make my list of software never to install...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• And the fix is to make SpotLight use its own Database! Its bizzare! I always thought spotlight was a read only application that just peeked into ur log files! It turns out it can do a lot more damage than what I thought!

• I've started at a new company (We do NOT have Spotlight) but I'll bet the boys at my last employer would be interested in the fix. If they spring for a free lunch, I might be willing to let them in on your response!!:D

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Mmmm its an interesting one. It's taken me a good few months to find out it was that too!

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply