Recovering SQL Server 2016 bak to SQL Server 2019 - what version will it be ?

• If in SQL Server 2019 I restore (using Restore Databases/in object explorer) a bak file that I created in SQL Server 2016 , what version of SQL Server will that database be running (2016 or 2019)?

• This topic was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  polkadot.

--Quote me

You can change the compatibility level if you want to, though.

• The compatibility level of the restored database will be 130 (SQL Server 2016).  You can indeed change it to 140 or 150 if you wish.

John

• And, you can never restore it back down to 2016 ever again. Just something to be aware of.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant, I don't think that's true:

-- Execute on SQL Server 2019 server
    RESTORE DATABASE Test
    FROM DISK = '\\Path\to\backup\of\SQL2016\Database.bak'
    WITH NORECOVERY,
    MOVE 'DataFile' TO 'X:\MSSQL\SQLData\Test_Data.MDF',
    MOVE 'LogFile' TO 'X:\MSSQL\SQLLog\Test_log.ldf';
    RESTORE DATABASE Test WITH RECOVERY;

SELECT compatibility_level
    FROM sys.databases
    WHERE name = 'Test'; -- 130

ALTER DATABASE Test SET COMPATIBILITY_LEVEL = 150;

FROM sys.databases
    WHERE name = 'Test'; -- 150

-- Mmmm - this works...
    ALTER DATABASE Test SET COMPATIBILITY_LEVEL = 130;

FROM sys.databases

-- Maybe if we put it back up to 2019 and then
    -- make a change in the database, we'll be
    -- stopped from dropping back down to 2016?
    ALTER DATABASE Test SET COMPATIBILITY_LEVEL = 150;

FROM sys.databases
    WHERE name = 'Test'; -- 150

USE Test;
    CREATE TABLE TestTable (col1 int);

USE master;

-- No, it still lets us do it!
    ALTER DATABASE Test SET COMPATIBILITY_LEVEL = 130;
    FROM sys.databases

John

• No, sorry for the confusion. My fault.

I meant take a backup from your 2019 instance and restore it to 2016.

Apologies for stating that poorly.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Ah, right - yes.  I wondered whether we might be talking at cross-purposes.  Makes sense now.

John

• And, of course, you're 100% correct on what you showed with the compatibility levels.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Hi John Mitchell & Grant Fritchey for answering the question. Couple more along these lines I wonder if you could help me with:

1.  Is the script method the only way to specify compatibility level (ie. can't be down with gui)?
    2.  Can compatibility level be set after db has been restored with ALTER like here?

--Quote me

1. You can use the GUI if you prefer.  I prefer scripts, since they're repeatable, and if the whole thing fails you don't have to start over again.
    2. Yes, you can set the compatibility level like that (it's what I did in my script above), or you can use the GUI.  Indeed, there's no way of setting the compatibility level as part of the restore, so you have to do it afterwards.

John

• What he said.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Follow question on this as I am not 100% clear on what to do here.

If I restore a 2016 backup to a 2019 server, after the restore, I MUST then alter the compatibility of the restored database in order to use the database on the 2019 version.  Is that correct?

What happens if this is not done?

I am getting ready to move a database from a 2016 version to a 2019 version and I want to make sure I do it correctly.  Thank you!!

• No, you don't have to. It will still fundamentally work (unless your specific application implements/relies on SQL 2019 features).

Higher-version features may simply not be available/used (e.g., cardinality estimator and query optimizer changes) -- see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/statements/alter-database-transact-sql-compatibility-level?view=sql-server-ver15

• Thank you so much for the clarification.  It appears that I will need to alter the compatibility as the reason I am moving the database is for some JSON stuff that apparently is not available in the 2016 version.

My colleague is doing some work with a Web Service API and has requested that the database be moved to a 2019 version of SQL from the 2016 version that it is on.

Again, I really appreciate your response!

• michgaw wrote:

Follow question on this as I am not 100% clear on what to do here.

If I restore a 2016 backup to a 2019 server, after the restore, I MUST then alter the compatibility of the restored database in order to use the database on the 2019 version.  Is that correct?

What happens if this is not done?

I am getting ready to move a database from a 2016 version to a 2019 version and I want to make sure I do it correctly.  Thank you!!

You do not have to change the compatibility level - it can remain on 2016 if needed.  You should test your application against the 2019 compatibility to see if there are any issues with that change, as there might be compatibility issues with your application code using something that is no longer supported/available in that compatibility mode.

There may be things that are available in the 2019 compatibility level that are not available in the 2016 mode.  If you need to be able to use that functionality then you would need to change the compatibility level.

So - to do this right, upgrade in a test environment and test your application against the 2019 compatibility before migrating/upgrading in production.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply