Recover SQL Server 2012 from file backups

• In a ransomware disaster recovery situation, we have a physical server that we are trying to recover by rebuilding the physical server, installing a new instance of SQL Server (SQL 2012 Enterprise SP 4), and restoring all database file storage drives from file system backups.  That should work for all user databases, but what about master?

Will the new instance of SQL start successfully if we replace master mdf and ldf files from the last good copy?

If that isn't possible, can the old master database files be attached as a user database to access metadata like logins, linked servers, server level permissions?  The system views like sys.server_principals won't work, so the underlying metadata tables will have to be accessed directly.  Is this doable?

(We may have a master database backup file we can restore from, if so that is Plan A.  I'm trying to define Plan B and Plan C.  While infrastructure folks are bringing back the network and sorting out what can be recovered from what must be rebuilt, management has little to do but request more spreadsheets.)

• For systems databases ( master / msdb ) things work a little different !

Have a look at: Backup & restore: system databases (SQL Server)

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply