Recover sql server 2000 user database when sql server crashes

• Hi,

I have sql server 2000 installed in a machine and database (data+log) files are pointed on SAN. I want to know, if by any chance the machine crashes then will I be able to attach the database to a new server without any data loss.

• If you create a backup of your database you're sure you can attach it to another server.

• Your solution will work only when I can predict a downtime.

My query is for unplanned system crash. Hence I guess I need some other solution.

• If you want 'server A' to be replaced by 'server B' the very instant 'server A' crashes you should consider using replication.

If replication is out of the question you should consider using backup(s). It's almost always so that you can't predict when a server will fail. That's why you should make a backup plan. This plan should might incorporate full backups, differential backups and transaction log backups...

• Have you considered clustered servers? With clustering when one server crashes it can be failed over to the other server and users and apps can still access the databases.

• Tanveer (7/17/2008)

Your solution will work only when I can predict a downtime.

My query is for unplanned system crash. Hence I guess I need some other solution.

System crashes are by definition unplanned. A good backup strategy is essential and can allow you to recover with minimal data loss even if the SAN and the server crash.

You will probably be able to attach, provided both the data and log files are intact and the crash was just the server, not the SAN. If you want it automatic, look at clustered servers

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply