Recording record changes in a history table?

• HI, I'm using sql server 2008 express and VB.net 2010

I have a database that records an employees personal details.

But I have to develop some way for recording changes to the record. ie what was changes and who changed it and when.

It may get changed multiple times so does sql server have anything built in to do this or do I do it all programmatically?

So do I create a history table which would add a considerable overhead/complexity to an otherwise simple system?

Do I record every change seperately or record the whole record each time?

Any suggestions/ guidance appreciated...

• Tallboy (7/19/2014)

HI, I'm using sql server 2008 express and VB.net 2010

I have a database that records an employees personal details.

But I have to develop some way for recording changes to the record. ie what was changes and who changed it and when.

It may get changed multiple times so does sql server have anything built in to do this or do I do it all programmatically?

So do I create a history table which would add a considerable overhead/complexity to an otherwise simple system?

Do I record every change seperately or record the whole record each time?

e

Any suggestions/ guidance appreciated...

---------------------------------------------------------

It would help those who want to help you if you would post the structure of your existing database.

First: does sql server have anything built in to do this. Not in the sense that I think you are asking. It is the responsibility of the DB designer to build that capability into the system.

Second: Do I record every change seperately or record the whole record each time?

Answer: What DO YOU WANT OR NEED ?

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply