Recommended SQL Backup Software

• Can someone recommend a good SQL backup software in the sub 1K range?  Needs to be able to backup multiple servers with multiple databases on each server.

Thanks

• Is there a reason native SQL Server backups won't work?

Native compression from 2012 and higher has comparable performance to other tools now - and is the reason I no longer utilize SQL Litespeed (Quest).  With that said - you need to define the goals you want to meet before deciding on which tool to use.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Jeffrey Williams wrote:

Is there a reason native SQL Server backups won't work?

Native compression from 2012 and higher has comparable performance to other tools now - and is the reason I no longer utilize SQL Litespeed (Quest).  With that said - you need to define the goals you want to meet before deciding on which tool to use.

Mostly, I'm just hoping to have a tool that has good options for doing DBCC before backups, good reporting, i.e. mailing us if DBCC fails.  I want a way for us to catch issues as soon as possible.

Edit: I checked out SQL Litespeed and the option to restore objects looks nice.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by  Jackie Lowery.
  • Also, as a side-note, our current solution is Veeam Backup and Restore.  The issue with Veeam is we can't restore a backup from several days back and all transaction logs since then. We do Fulls on the weekend and Diffs every 24 hrs. If we find corruption on Friday, and the most recent good backup point is Tuesday, we can only restore the trx logs up to the next backup on Wed.  We can't restore all the trx logs up to Friday, so that data is lost.  That's a bad flaw.

• You can try to use SqlBak, this is a pay-as-you-go service, and you pay only for connected servers

It performs backups via Standard T-SQL Commands and also has the email notification option.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by  mail4olek.
  • I am wondering why Ola's Maintenance Scripts wouldn't cover your needs?

• Do they support emailing backup results or at the very least just errors?

• Well if the DBCC job fails you can set up Database Mail for failed jobs?

• I'll throw SQL Backup Pro in the mix. Not sure of the cost for you, but you'd have to ask. https://www.red-gate.com/products/dba/sql-backup/

However, I think Ola's scripts with some simple scripting/alerting will dothis.

Disclosure: I work for Redgate

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

I'll throw SQL Backup Pro in the mix. Not sure of the cost for you, but you'd have to ask. https://www.red-gate.com/products/dba/sql-backup/

However, I think Ola's scripts with some simple scripting/alerting will dothis.

Disclosure: I work for Redgate

Will Backup Pro work for the scenario I've described, i.e. we find out the db has been corrupted a couple days after several diff backups have been done.  Can we restore the db to the diff before the db was corrupted, then restore all trx logs up to the current day?  Also, can i restore tail log via Backup Pro?

We currently use Veeam Backup and Restore, but it won't restore the trx logs up to current day.

• You're looking at two things. Catching corruption is running DBCC often. SQL Backup pro can do this. You can run the dbcc often, daily, and detect corruption early.

Restoring is separate. Most software should restore to a point in time, and with SQL Backup, you can choose to which point you restore the database. Full, Full+Fidd1, Full+Diff2, etc. You have to know where to restore to. The software won't do that.

Tail log is no problem, but if you have corruption, this may or may not be helpful.

I would really suggest you learn more about backups and restores, and understand what is involved. The software isn't a substitute for this.

• Let's say i have this backup scenario.  I discover that my most recent backup without the table corruption is DiffA2.

With SQL Backup Pro, can i restore FullA, DiffA2, then TL7 - TL27?  Our issue with Veeam B&R is that we can only restore FullA, DiffA2, and TL7-TL9.  For some reason, they don't allow you to restore TL10-TL27 so that data is lost.

Not sure why i didn't explain it this way before.  Lol.

• Yes, you have control over the files, so Backup Pro will do it all. If you have the files made with Veem, you can manually restore TL10-27.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Yes, you have control over the files, so Backup Pro will do it all. If you have the files made with Veem, you can manually restore TL10-27.

Thanks for the info and recommendation.  We've decided to go with Redgate SQL Pro.  It has features we need.  I installed the trial and performed the restore in my example and it went fine.  Thanks for letting me know we could use the Veeam files also.  I had to figure out how to export the .bak files from the Veeam backup, but that was good info.  Is there a way I can credit you with the sale? lol

• the redgate tool is awesome.... you won't be disappointed

disclaimer - I don't work for Redgate 🙂

but the licencing is tricky, if you want to backup 3 servers then it's 3 licenses.

we also found that rather than just going for backup, the full toolbelt suite was more cost effective (so you get object level recovery, data compare, sql compare, prompt sql source control)

MVDBA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply