Recommendations for db roles for vb developers

• HI. I'm still getting familiar with sql server 2000 and now i'm trying to understand db roles and how best to assign those roles to vb developers. I am hoping to hear what or is their a 'norm' on what roles the vb developer should have in a development environment. We have 2 environments here, a development/test and PRODUCTION. We are new to sql server and VB. I create the databases and I didn't know if I should change the dbo to their username or should I give them the db_owner role, or the db_ddladmin/db_securityadmin role? I guess another main question is, is it necessary in development that all objects get created with DBO or is this saved for when the database is ready for production.

I hope this was clear and apologize if it was not.

Juanita

• In our environment we place the developers in the db_owner role. The actual DBO is normally SA, or one of the SYSADMIN users. It is much easier to manage permissions, even on a development server if all objects are owned by DBO.

Doing this allows all developers to create what ever they need in the development environment.

Of course in production developers are not ever placed in the db_owner role.

I'm sure others have a different take, but this is my 2 cents.

Gregory Larsen, DBA

If you looking for SQL Server Examples check out my website at http://www.geocities.com/sqlserverexamples

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

• how about denyreader, denywriter?

Seriously. In development, I'd give them some role (Developers?) that I created and assign the rights as needed. I keep the rights with the DDL for the objects. I might give them create table/view/sproc, but that depends. If a DBA can support them, be better if they did it. Once you get ready to move objects, I'd change the owner to dbo and then move to QA (you do have QA, right?).

I do not think developers should have access to production. haven't always been able to do this, but as a general rule, I wouldn't give them access. Except for a specific problem. Set it up and then revoke it.

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

• Thank you very much for the input.. I think I get the picture now!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply