Rebuilding SQLServerCentral

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Rebuilding SQLServerCentral

• Hi Steve,

nice overhaul, takes a bit of getting used to it.

But: at the moment, the link "Write for us" gives me this:

• Thanks. Please post issues in the Website Issues forum. This appears to be fixed, or at least, I don't see this.

• For the most part, I like to new website. Of course, not everything. But I don't perfectly like everything I write, either.

I'm curious to know what requirements Google and other search engines have, which you took into consideration when you produced this new website?

On a bit of a tangent, I know what you mean by the complexities of a data migration. We're in the process of re-writing a really old MS Access app into WPF with a SQL Server backend. (Thank God we're getting this done!) Slow going, but I'm sure it will be better when we're done. At least much easier to maintain and certainly the code can be put into version control.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Nice work...Looks great and just like everything else gotta make changes to stay up with technology.  SSC ROCKS!!! and just passing on some Kudos... thanks again

DHeath

• When you went from V1 - V2 I stopped getting the daily emails to my work address, I only got them to my personal email.

With this latest upgrade I am getting the daily emails at work too. Thanks for bringing me back!

• awesome.

I did notice I had a few tabs (URLs) open prior to the change and refreshing these got me a

Not Found

message. I was able to search for the title and find the article again with no problem. Liking the new format. Keep up the greatness.

• Rod at work wrote:

For the most part, I like to new website. Of course, not everything. But I don't perfectly like everything I write, either. I'm curious to know what requirements Google and other search engines have, which you took into consideration when you produced this new website?

The biggest issue is Google and other engines have started to dramatically lower ratings for sites without mobile versions. That impacts search and thus traffic to the site.

• scott_hunter_ wrote:

awesome. I did notice I had a few tabs (URLs) open prior to the change and refreshing these got me a

Not Found

message. I was able to search for the title and find the article again with no problem. Liking the new format. Keep up the greatness.

URL rewrites are more complex and we're finding lots of edge cases that we didn't account for. Some old URLs redirect great, some don't.

• I'm really impressed with how fast things have been getting fixed. Any rebuilt site would likely cause some angst but overall this has been pretty impressive - especially when considering this is a free site offered to the SQL Server community by RedGate. A lot of time and resources has obviously gone into this whole project.

People won't always understand why some apps, web sites need to change but it's nothing a company ventures into unless it's truly needed. I really appreciate all the efforts, especially by those who none of us know about who are banging away at their keyboards, putting in a ton of extra hours to get this right. They totally rock!!

Sue

• Things pretty much turned into an Ad for RedGate when you took over. Pretty disappointing and it has led me to seek other less commercialized sites. To bad RedGate is the worste.

• Steve, the resource files for articles are missing.

This article should have a resource file named QRCoderResources.zip.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/linear-barcodes-in-ssrs-using-the-barcode-image-generation-library

• The new site design is ... bland, homogeneous. And after years of you promoting best practices in database design, hearing that you cut corners to get it done is disheartening. The old site, while dated, had a sense of style, whereas this ... doesn't. Sorry, just not thrilled with it.

• I am slowly getting used to the new design. I think my biggest issue with it is the font you are using, just makes it much harder to read and doesn't render properly on my dell work monitor, making reading more than a few paragraphs challenging and headache inducing.

• Rick-153145 wrote:

I am slowly getting used to the new design. I think my biggest issue with it is the font you are using, just makes it much harder to read and doesn't render properly on my dell work monitor, making reading more than a few paragraphs challenging and headache inducing.

What does "not render properly" mean to you? Please feel free to grab a screen shot and post in the website issues forum if there are bug errors. If the font isn't what you like, is it the kerning? Color contrast? Something else?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply