Rebuild index Necessary?

• Hi,

A function that fetches some records from table containing 3555000 records took nearly a minute. I gave an index and rebuild it. The time reduced drastically.

My question is whether the rebuilding of index is mandatory after creating index or does it serves some other purpose.

Thanks

"I Love Walking In The Rain So No One Can See Me Crying ! " ~ Charlie Chaplin

• Hi

Directly after the creation of the index you don't have to rebuild it. This re-creates the index 😛

But you have to monitor the index fragmentation and its scan density and rebuild it when it becomes slow.

Greets

Flo

• As Flo says, you shouldn't have to rebuild the index right after creating it.

Are you sure the index is working well with the query? Did the execution plan change before and after the creation of the index?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• jchandramouli (3/26/2009)

Hi,

A function that fetches some records from table containing 3555000 records took nearly a minute. I gave an index and rebuild it. The time reduced drastically.

My question is whether the rebuilding of index is mandatory after creating index or does it serves some other purpose.

Thanks

By the way... what do you mean with "fetch". I hope you mean a SELECT. Do you use a CURSOR?

Greets

Flo

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply