Reasons to install SQL Server v. 2008R2 versus 2012 on a new server?

• Yes they are aware that I'm here but they don't understand why I might be needed for this role. It is mega frustrating. They think being a DBA only means the person who develops the repository that will help them automate their existing paper and Access (without any VBA code) processes. The weird thing is that my work is well respected and I STILL don't have enough pull to get the access I need to be the DBA yet. I have been putting everything on my work laptop in lieu of a server so that i can go ahead and start working on the system. The cost of the consulting possibly doesn't matter to them. Also all hardware is ordered through his company without any consultation with me about what we may need. This issue has taken what should be a very rewarding position and made it a stressful and at times unpleasant one. My boss keeps saying he will speak to external people to see what he should do so it's a roll of the dice as to whether those external experts will be experts in this arena. They could end up being high level experts in some other area. There are so many variables that make this a difficult proposition. I wrote up the reasons I need access but there are other higher priorities for my boss now. He really doesn't have any idea about why SQL Server needs a DBA but Access doesn't.

• If it were me, I'd give it an "internal" deadline - meaning, pick a date that things need to change by and then make the decision to give your boss that ultimatum. In the mean time, I'd be evaluating new DBA opportunities to have possibilities in the works...if you're a DBA (and that's your passion) you're not going to be happy in a position like this for very long and it's tough having to drag pre-existing baggage up the hill all the time...

You could also take another approach. Find a new angle. Find something existing business process that's currently in place that takes up significant company resources and find a way to drastically improve it using SQL Server. Present your work-of-art to the powers that be with the slight that "if given the opportunity, these are the kinds of things we can do here with SQL server" and see if they bite!

______________________________________________________________________________Never argue with an idiot; Theyll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

• Thanks for posting again MyDogJessie. Yes, this a very good approach. In a way I been doing this and I've made some headway but , because I developed them on my laptop my boss doesn't see what the big problem is because I have already done the work. I've told him that it's not backed up unless I do it myself with my external drive from home and that it's not robust, can be disconnected to take home,etc. He's able to say "Let's do this in Access" though so that's his way of dealing with it. I don't want to develop in Access. I paid my dues.

You're right that this can't continue indefinitely. It's extremely important to me to do database administration. I'm willing to do other things to accompany it but I do want to keep growing in DBA work. They call me "DBA" but, like I said, they don't know what DBA work is. I did not know this on the interview. I was told I could build the servers but the jr. network admin made sure to freeze me out before I got in the door. She's on leave now so I think my boss is waiting until that's over before making a decision. Meanwhile two servers sit there without anyone using the SQL instances. The network admin doesn't want to be a DBA so that's not the reason. I'll post again if anything new happens one way or the other. Thanks again.

• Maybe get them a copy of Craig Mullins book, Database Administration. It's an awesome overview of the job. It doesn't get into technologies directly, just responsibilities and concepts. I realize handing your boss a book is nuts (although I've done it), but having the reference, open in front of them, as you say, "Well, it's accepted practice that a DBA will do X because of Y" might help a little. Plus, it's a great reference.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• So your organisation has a non-employee installing software on company machines. IMHO not a good situation.

At the very least you can organise a meeting with your manager, the manager you have in common with the system administrator, and the system administrator and put your case across (in a very calm and dignified manner!). A major aspect of this should be governance and separation of responsibilities.

It is part of the job of technicians to advise managers, and for managers to make the final decisions and take responsibility for them. If your managers say the way things have been done is the way they want it done in the future, your position is clear. You can then decide if your career is best served by staying in place or getting a different job.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply