Real World DevOps

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Real World DevOps

• I was one who was wondering what DevOps was about. As an engineer, I pioneered simultaneous engineering (also know as concurrent engineering)  in my organisation thirty years ago. Now I have worked out that DevOps is applying the same principles to application development, I am wondering, why it took so long?

• I think it's gotten popular with the naming and with high profile companies writing about it. Lots of people, albeit a minority, have been doing this stuff for decades. I know I was doing this CI/CD type stuff in 1996 in a small way. didn't have a name for it.

• If you read Fred P Brooks he cites a colleagues belief in small iterative deliverables rather than big bang projects. I remember thinking that sounded like one of the approaches found to be effective by Agile practitioners.  Fred P Brooks wrote his essays in 1975 based on 25 years in the industry.

DevOps, Agile and a plethora of other approaches all have roots dating back decades.  Ideas take a long time to take root. Different people reach similar conclusions independently because there are fundamental truths about software development.

We are fortunate to live in a time where the means of communicating and collaboration allow these ideas to become reality for the masses. Not only do we gain the benefit from the ideas we also have the tools and techniques that allow those ideas to spread and take root.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply