re: Using DTS to Sybase

• Hi,

I'm currently wanting to examine some data in a Sybase system. I've tried to use the DTS import utility (via ODBC) to see if I can get table schemas and data etc, with no luck.

I believe the problem is related to the Sybase server not configured to handle remote connections, and needs installation of the relevant components etc etc.

Is there any other way I could get access to this Sybase server, bearing in mind I have a login id and server name. Are there some console tools I could download to reference it.

Any help or pointing me in the right direction would be useful,

thanks

Brendon

• Brendon--

I have some experience with Sybase SQLAnywhere 5.0. On that platform you use 'Sybase Central' and 'ISQL' which are analogous to 'Enterprise Manager' and 'Query Analyzer'.

I have found the ODBC connections quite challenging, but it can be done w/DTS

Good Luck.

--Greg

• maybe a dumb question, but did you make sure you installed sybase client tools on the sql server machine, you'll run your DTS package on?

asking because that's happened to me too when trying to connect to db2. you'll just need certain dlls to properly connect ...

best regards,

chris.

• Bingo! Thanks cneuhold, it was pretty much to that effect.

The ODBC drivers I had weren't very effective. I downloaded the client toolset from Sybase, and once that was installed on my desktop, it gave me an OLEDB driver to use instead. Went through DTS in the usual manner - no problems what-so-ever.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply