RE: Understand this SQL Script

• Hi

I was wondering if someone could help understand what exactly this code is doing(i hope it doesn't seem like a silly question) A few years back a developer designed this code without any comments which has now been given to me to find out what exactly it is doing and purpose.

In an attempt to understand it i have made as much detailed comments to the code as possible. What i really want to know is its purpose??.

Unfortunately, I cant get a copy of the DB which i feel would of made things a lot easier for me personally.

USE [DSAPS_CM01]

GO

/****** Object: StoredProcedure [dbo].[DS_DemandParse] Script Date: 11/07/2011 10:37:14 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[DS_DemandParse]

AS

-- Deleting a table called DSDemand

DELETE DSDemand

-- Declare a variable called N and give it a datatype integrator

-- Declare a variable called ReqD and give it a datatype Datetime

DECLARE @N [integer],

@ReqD [DateTime]

-- Set a value of the declare variable N to zero

SET @N = 0

WHILE @N <= 12 -- A while loop that looks at the variable N and if it is less or equal to 12.

BEGIN

SET @ReqD = DATEADD(day,7 *(@N), -- Then begin by setting the variable ReqD to add a specified time interval to a date( in this case its 7 which represents June)

(SELECT CAST(SUBSTRING(DemCOString,53,8) AS DateTime)-- A cast function is used to convert and substring that grab a portion of the stored data then rename the field 'Datetime'

FROM DSCOString -- What table to extract the information from.

WHERE LEFT(DemCOString,5)=' ' )) -- A where clause to that uses a return left part which specifies the number of characters to return(the othe section dont know)

-- insert data into the fields Item, ShipTo, CustOrds and ReqDate fields

INSERT INTO DSDemand

([Item]

,[ShipTo]

,[CustOrds]

,[ReqDate])

SELECT Left(DemCOString,32)-- a left function returns specified number of characters which in this case is 32

-- The substring is used to grap portion of the of the field DemCoString

,SubString(DemCOString,33,12) -- grap the portion of the field decostring from 33 to 12(seems wrong way round to me)

,SUBSTRING(DemCOString,53 + (8*(@N)),8)+ --The substring is used to grap portion of the of the field DemCoString

/*a case statement is basically saying that when the variable N is equal to one then

grap a portion of the democoString field from 45 to 8 or if it is not 1 then set to zero

*/

CASE WHEN @N = 1

THEN SUBSTRING(DemCOString,45,8)

ELSE 0

END

/*

The value from the variable RegD

From the table DSCoString grab a portion of the field DemCoString from 2 - 5( dont know what the other part those)

*/

,@ReqD

FROM DSCOString WHERE SUBSTRING(DemCOString,2,5)<>' '

/*Perform an update of DSDemand

set the field(column name) DepDemand to 53 characters long by include the data from the variable N

when variable N is equal to 1

This comes from the DSDString table

a where clause that only displays 32 characters from the data in the DemDDstring field starting from the left

the and clause to grap a portion of the DemDDString field from position 33 to 12

the and which is saying ReqData is equal to whatever is declared previously

the add to grab a portion of the DemDDstring from 2 to 5*/

UPDATE DSDemand

SET DepDemand=SUBSTRING(DemDDString,53 + (8*(@N)),8)+

CASE WHEN @N = 1

THEN SUBSTRING(DemDDString,45,8)

ELSE 0

END

FROM DSDString

WHERE Item = Left(DemDDString,32)

AND ShipTo = SubString(DemDDString,33,12)

AND ReqDate = @ReqD

AND SUBSTRING(DemDDString,2,5)<>' '

/*update the DSDemand table

set the field GrossReq String to a portion of the DemGRString field and the variable N

when N is equal to one grap a portion of the field DemGRString or else set it to zero

from the */

UPDATE DSDemand

SET GrossReq=SUBSTRING(DemGRString,53 + (8*(@N)),8)+

CASE WHEN @N = 1

THEN SUBSTRING(DemGRString,45,8)

ELSE 0

END

FROM DSGRString

WHERE Item = Left(DemGRString,32)

AND ShipTo = SubString(DemGRString,33,12)

AND ReqDate = @ReqD

AND SUBSTRING(DemGRString,2,5)<>' '

-- increment variable n by 1

SET @N = @N + 1

END

/*Update DSDemand table

set the field forecast to Gross - DepDemand - CustOrds

where GrossReg is greater or equal to DepDemand plus Custords*/

UPDATE DSDemand

SET Forecast = GrossReq - DepDemand - CustOrds

WHERE GrossReq >= DepDemand + Custords

__________________________________________________________________________________
    Steve J
    Jnr Developer
    BSc(Hon)

• It's iterating through weeks. 7 doesn't indicate June (not sure why it would, but it's commented that way), it's a multiple of a number of days based on the loop value. So, 7*0 days, then 7*1 days, then 7*2 days, etc., up through 7 * 12 days.

It then uses that to query and parse out a value from a table. I'd have to see what the values are in the table to tell you more about that, but what you could do is look at the table itself and probably figure out the business-data it is storing.

But the key thing is it loops through weeks.

Almost certainly, it could be rewritten to get all the data in one go, with either a calendar table or a numbers table. I'd need to see more of the database to be completely sure of that.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Hi GSquared

Many thanks for your reply. I'm in the process of trying to get a copy of the database(very frustrating)once i have it i'll upload it and maybe that will give you a better idea of what the script is doing.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    Steve J
    Jnr Developer
    BSc(Hon)

• I wouldn't upload the database if I were you.

The usual thing is to post create scripts for the tables in the query, and a few rows worth of insert statements for each.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• What GSquared said.

FYI: Depending on the business, you could get fired for uploading a database onto the internet. Engage in CYA. Post sample tables and sample data insert scripts only for the things you need assistance with, and make sure to scrub your data before posting it.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Post the Table DDL and sample data for "DSCOString" and "DSDemand" table DDL

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply