Re: Linking differential database backups to full database backups

• I'm trying to automate restoring a source server's full and differential backups to a different destination server. Both database servers are running SQL Server 2005 SP3. Since the source and destination databases can not talk to each other directly, I'm using the "RESTORE HEADERONLY" command to read relevant backup information. Is there a "full proof" way to determine which differential backup corresponds to a full backup? In other words, is there a field/set of fields that can be used to link a differential backup with the correct full backup?

• There are couple of ways of doing this..

However, the easiest way will be to select the list from backupset table in msdb db ....

select * from msdb..backupset

where type = ''

type can be one of these:

D = Full Database

I = Differential database

L = Log

F = File or filegroup

G =Differential file

P = Partial

Q = Differential partial

Swarndeep

http://talksql.blogspot.com

• Thanks for the info. However, I'm interested in figuring out which differential database backup corresponds to which full database backup.

For example, let's say I have 5 backup files to the same database:

Full Backup A

Differential Backup A1

Full Backup B

Differential Backup B1

Differential Backup B2

How would I know that backup A1 corresponds to backup A, and backup B1 and backup B2 correspond to backup B?

• The backupset table has the necessary information. Try running this query. You can exclude the where criteria for all database backup operations.

select TYPE, media_set_id, first_lsn, database_backup_lsn, backup_start_date, database_name, differential_base_lsn

from msdb.dbo.backupset

where database_name =

order by backup_start_date

• vstitte (8/19/2009)

The backupset table has the necessary information. Try running this query. You can exclude the where criteria for all database backup operations.

select TYPE, media_set_id, first_lsn, database_backup_lsn, backup_start_date, database_name, differential_base_lsn

from msdb.dbo.backupset

where database_name =

order by backup_start_date

Assuming the database_name matches, would I just look for the [latest incremental backup].differential_base_lsn = [latest full backup].first_lsn? Or will there be a potential problem using that criteria?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply