re-index and database size

• Hi there, I just encoutered a, I think very weird, behavior of SQL server (2000, service pack 3).

I was doing re-index of some large fragmented tables of that database.

for example, before I did the re-index, I checked the unallocate space in the database called "prod" as follows:

sp_spaceused

5400.09 MB

the I checked the size of the table I was going to do re-index,

sp_spaceused IssueDeclaration

233408 KB

then I did re-index:

dbcc dbreindex (IssueDeclaration, '', 80)

after that, I re-checked the size of my database "prod", to my surprise the space of unallocated instead of increase, decreased!

sp_spaceused

5299.98 MB

which was exactly the opposite while I was doing the testing of re-index on another server ( I restored the dump of "prod" to a development server to estimate how long the re-index takes)

And after re-indexed several tables, I checked the "prod" again:

database_name database_size unallocated space

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------ ------------------

PROD 47850.94 MB 3433.33 MB

reserved data index_size unused

------------------ ------------------ ------------------ ------------------

35396272 KB 18117544 KB 7952128 KB 9326600 KB

This is so weird, because the reservered space just increased and increased, then unused increased... while I was doing testing, actually the database shrink after index re-organized (both the index size and unused size decreased).

can anyone explain this?

• Is it possible, the initial fillfactor was 90 and now you are doing it for 80 ?

Is the total size of db same between prod and devl?

• no, the table was pretty fragmented before re-index. And the db on testing was the same as the 'prod', because I used the dump file of 'prod' to build the test.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply