Raw Materials - Minds on Fire

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Raw Materials - Minds on Fire

• I haven't belly-laughed at a comic strip for a long time. Thanks for this one!

😀

• This one is pretty good, especially now.

• I like the strip, but I thought the final frame, though funny, could have been less cliche. As we've all seen, in movies when a computer gets stuck in an infinite loopback (or similar) condition, it tends to blow up, melt down, or fail catastrophically in some other fashion.

As those of us in the real world know, runaway or loopback conditions aren't nearly so dramatic, though they can be as devastating.

As I read the final frame, an alternate ending occured to me. Instead of the robot burning up, he could freeze, head cocked to the side and start saying continuously, "Stack Overflow, Reboot required."

And the girl (whose name I can't remember) could say, "Yeah, the economy's like that too."

Just a thought.

Love the strip,

Dave

• "Burnout" is the governing word here. You have to remember that Derek is a robot as well as a computer. The flames were kindled when small gears in and around his neck swivelled back and forth at such high speed that their lubricated bearings vaporized from the friction.

• Given the set A which is a set of all sets that do not contain themselves as proper subsets, is set A in set A?

The infinite loop usually does not cause a burn out. It just causes unresponsiveness. Like when you call a government office.

ATBCharles Kincaid

• Nice one

while i < 2

Begin

Print 'People Stop Buying things because people stopped buying things'

i=1

End

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Charles Kincaid (1/6/2010)

Given the set A which is a set of all sets that do not contain themselves as proper subsets, is set A in set A?

Believe it or not, there's a workaround to this problem!! Bertrand Russell, who dreamed up the paradox, tried to fix it by arranging sets in a heirarchy of "types". Later (by the time I studied math), this was simplified to a two-type heirarchy as follows:

A class is a collection of things. A set is a class that's a member of some class. This resolves the Russell paradox because the collection of all sets which are not members of themselves is a class but not a set.

• Still funny... and this is like my fifth reading over the past few weeks 😛

• 😛 Funny

• Still a funny comic.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (10/26/2011)

Still a funny comic.

True more than funny ;-).

• Still my favorite!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply