Random Thoughts and News

• The world is achangin' rapidly around us and it seems like to many slightly interesting, but not overly interesting, at least not interesting enough for me to focus completely on one of them.

vs.

The CPU Wars are on!!!

The last few days I have seen a few announcements on new CPU hardware, which have been addend to Database Daily  . First there was Intel's announcement of 64-bit chips for the desktop. This probably does more for multimedia applications than regular business applications, but it's still another advance in hardware, giving AMD some competition.

Then 24 hours later AMD demonstrates a 64-bit dual-core CPU that allows the two processor cores to handle different process flows. Something in my mind trumps the Intel announcement, especially for a multi-tasking individual such as me that's usually running something in the background, maybe more than one thing. Especially these days with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, and who knows what other protection mechanisms need to be running nonstop.

And speaking of protection, the Ai Yi Yi thread has been getting a lot of interest relating the SPAM, and now SPIM. It seems that far from Bill Gates' prediction that SPAM would be pretty much done this year, it's gotten worse and it's growing in other areas.

But on the bright side, in the US an appeals court ruled that the FCC overstepped it's bounds in mandating a "broadcast" flag that would prevent copying of certain data that is received, mostly as relating to TV. While this battle is not over, I'm personally glad that our "fair use" is at least somewhat alive and well. Not that I condone piracy, but being able to have some fair use for personal reasons and not be subject to the whim of corporate America is something that I'd like to see remain.

And a last minute newsbreak: Microsoft Patches "Blue Screen Of Death" In Windows XP SP2. It's on Automatic Update, but here's the KB Article

Steve Jones

• What about the IBM/Sony/Toshiba Cell processor? Cell 9 is supposed to behave like 9 CPUs on one chip and therefore you are talking about 9 computers with blindingly fast connections between them.

If it works it should be awesome, however raw processor power is not as important to database servers as super-fast hard disks and memory.

• Good point. I'd forgotten about it, but unless it will emulate an x86 chipset or there's a port of Windows, not sure it counts here.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply