EMP_HOME_PHONE=

reverse(substring(EMP_HOME_PHONE,1,3) ) + '-' +

reverse(substring(EMP_HOME_PHONE,5,3)) + '-' +

reverse(substring(EMP_HOME_PHONE,9,4))

It took the following production phone number:

225-663-5578

And turned it into:

522-366-8755

No one in the training environment will ever know the difference.

• Unless they read this forum, in which case, you just gave away "the code", and it could be reverse engineered.

Either go for truly random (Matt's solution), or completely meaningless (my solution). That's better than something cute with the real data.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I personally prefer to never use anything that can be used to derive the "real" information in a demo scenario. For example - if all of your local phone numbers start with 225, and someone in the demo keeps noticing 522 as your "objfuscated" pattern, it won't take long for them to find your pattern....

I would say, either go random (my method), or replace all numbers with some constant (Gsquared). Something with NO chance to ever be "reconstituted" into the real info...Way too much possible liability IMO....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I get what both of you are saying....and you are right...i will implement the options that you two have thrown my way.

thanks for all of your help...

• GSquared (4/17/2008)

Unless they read this forum, in which case, you just gave away "the code", and it could be reverse engineered.

Either go for truly random (Matt's solution), or completely meaningless (my solution). That's better than something cute with the real data.

You know - you have GOT to stop reading my mind....hehe...:hehe:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt: When I saw your post right after I posted mine, my first thought was "tag, you're it!" 🙂

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• For a phone number generator, how do I parameter this?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  jackaustin.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply