raid 5 or raid 10 for sql server data warehouse database implementation

• Hi,
    I'm building a SQL Server for data warehouse database implementation. Should I go for raid 5 or raid 10 ?
    Thanks

• I'd say R10 for performance, rather than R5, but depending on workload, it might not matter much. R10 is more expensive at larger disk levels, though you need to ensure your R5 has a spare disk in the case in case one fails. You want rebuilds to occur quickly.

• You might also read this: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/RAID/88945/

• Don't use RAID5, outdated and cannot handle the current volume sizes, unless you are willing to risk your data!
    😎

• if RAID 5 - multiple spares. RAID 10 will have better read performance - 2x over RAID5.
    Also, are these local disk arrays of is this SAN storage. This is important since different SAN HW performs differently.
    Take EMC VMAX - it's best performance is all RAID 5 - in 3 disk RAID 5 arrays virtualized to the hilt.
    This was a surprise when we benchmarked it between its best practice of the RAID 5 in a 3 disk arrays over all RAID 10 of various sizes.
    I've also done various IBM SANS and SVC storage as well basing tests on RAID 5 vs RAID 10.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply