RAID 1 vs RAID 5 for write operations

• Im reading two books on SQL Server and I seem to be reading conflicting information. Or thats at least how I interupt it :hehe:

The SQL Server 2005 Exam 70-431 book states

RAID 1 improves read performance but can degrade the performance of write operations.

RAID 5 provides better performance than RAID 1. However, when a disk fails, read performance decreases

Beginning SQL Server 2005 Administration books states

However, when it comes to the transaction log, a RAID 1 configuration is more appropriate than a RAID 5. A transaction log placed on a striped array will actually decrease the performance of SQL Server. This is because of the inherent hit in write performance on a RAID 5 array, and also because of the way SQL Server writes serialized data to the log.

Im confused here....the first quote says RAID 1 can degrade the performance of write operations and the second quote says the inherent hit in write performance on a RAID 5 array.

• I think there's a lot of confusion out there and different rest results.

http://www.baarf.com

Go with R1. It's better at everything.

• Ok thanks...kind of disheartening that their is conflicting information out there. I guess I will just have to keep in mind if I see that on a test to play it safe and go with the MCTS book answer. 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply