Questions for users of Log Explorer

• Hello,

I'm a contract DBA for a small company and my client wants me to recommend changes to their current audit/security set up. I've looked at the Lumigent site for Log Explorer and it looks like a good product but I have a few questions for those DBA's who use the product:

1. Their web site states that reports can be created from the trans log data. Can you generate audit reports on a scheduled basis or only manually?

2. How long do you keep your transaction logs around? In my environment I could see management wanting to know what happended 3 or 4 months ago and that a lot of trans logs to keep around...

Any other thoughts or suggestions about this product would be great.

Diane

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• #1 - I can't see where you could schedule the reports to run, but I would download the eval and give a look for yourself. If the feature is not available now Lumigent is pretty receptive to feasible suggestions.

#2 - We keep our production log dumps on line for 2 weeks but store them on tape for 6 mos. We use Log Explorer primarily for audit purposes and need to keep a longer history than most shops.

• Hi Diane,

We use Log Explorer. Our transaction log gets backed up every hour contiguously but we clear the log at 1am every morning (after we run a full backup). This means that anything we want to check using backed up logs has to happen before the 1am cut-off. Generally speaking if we have something that needs to be looked at using Log Explorer I simply copy the latest backed up trans log file and store it in another location so that it won't get over-written.

Haven't needed to use the reports section so can't help you there. One thing to look at is Brian Knight's recent article on the new Lumigent product called Entegra. Looks to be pretty powerfull but perhaps too much for what you require.

Matt.

• Thanks to all for your replies.

Matt - I'm looking at the Entegra product but I think the price may be too steep ($5000) for my client.

Thanks,

Diane

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply