Questioning the Interviewer

• If you got the interview thru a recruiter, they might be able to tell you why 'the company is anxious to get this position filled ASAP', or why it's been open for a long time. Fewer confidentiality issues with recruiters.

• lptech (10/24/2012)

If you got the interview thru a recruiter, they might be able to tell you why 'the company is anxious to get this position filled ASAP', or why it's been open for a long time. Fewer confidentiality issues with recruiters.

....although if the company told the recruiter that kind of detail, they're still likely to be breaching their obligations, so that tells you a lot in itself.

Semper in excretia, suus solum profundum variat

• Obviously, they won't tell the recruiter about someone's personal issues. But it with a little bit on persistence, it might be possible to determine if the person left because of the nature of the job itself. And that is what we really care about.

A few areas to ask about might include:

1) significant off hours work, lack of telecommuting, etc.

2) Turnover, as this might not be the first position the recruiter is trying to fill for that manager/department.

3) State of the environment, i.e. 80% SQL Server 2000.

• Like many here, I ask questions as I go. As a freelancer I have less focus on the long term happiness working for a company. I tend to be more project focussed e.g. it is a lot easier to palm off a request with a "see the PM" when you have been brought in to work on one project so inter-departmental pressures rarely affect me.

My default question is to ask how they thought the interview went. People tend to see this as a mutual opportunity to indicate interest without putting the interviewer under undue pressure to commit one way or another. No one likes being backed into a corner.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• If a prospective candidate asked all the things some of the other commenters have suggested I would never hire them. If we have some failings I would want someone who could come in and help us repair what is wrong, not expect everything to be perfect from the get go. I don't want an employee that I have to dance around so I don't upset them. If we don't measure up then show me some enthusiasm and insight as to how you might help rectify that. Just show me some enthusiasm about you and how you work.

• When in the role of a candidate, I'll typically ask why the previous person in the position decided to leave, or why he/she was let go. It's a good one to hold for the end when asked "Do you any additional questions for us?". The question usually gets some raised eyebrows and sideways glances between interviewers as if they weren't expecting the question. I do believe it's a relevent question, because I need to know what I'm stepping into, and they should obviously not want a repeat of the last guy. If I get the impression that the interviewers (there are typically handful at the table), arn't willing to be open and informal, then that's deal breaker for me. I've found that the disposition of the folks performing the interview is reflective of the organization's culture in general, so it helps to poke them a little. It also helps the candidate to stand out and be remembered.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• ... each of us wants a job, needs to get a job, and don't want to do anything that might jeopardize our chances. However taking a job that's a bad fit, or has some aspect that will bother you every day is a bad idea. You spend a lot of time at work and a poor work environment can make your life miserable. ...

I agree with this thought if one is coming from the perspective that this job is where one is going to spend the rest of one's career. But that perspective seems unrealistic in today's market where employers treat people like disposable commodities.

A more realistic perspective in today's market may be to take the job just to hone your skills, gain some experience, and move on to something better on your terms rather than trying to hold out until the perfect place to work is found. It most likely does not exist so holding out will not be in your best interest but honing your skills, gaining experience, and moving on to something better on your terms will be.

• I am definitely adding "How large is your IT department" for future interviews. I've always had a file of questions to ask at interviews, and the worst jobs that I've had have been small shops of 1-4 people. I want some structure in my work environment, and if a shop is that small, it's not as likely to have the structure that I'm looking for.

One thing that I did not expect in my now previous job was that it was on an annually renewed contract. It was renewed the first year, not the second. Totally took me, my boss, co-workers, and former boss by surprise when they were told that I was in a temporary position. Kinda funny that the 'temporary' part wasn't mentioned in the hiring process, original or renewal contract, or at any other time.

One thing is certain: had I known it was a short-term contract, I would have negotiated for more money.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply