question regarding performance dashboard

• i was told to generate performance dashboard reports on two different databases. I never used performance dahsboards before. I request sql gurus here to help me with finding the threshold values for CPU tim,i/o contention,memory contention..like i need to know how much shoould be th cut of for these ...i wld rlly appreciate ifsmeone cld give me a link or give me the values directly here.

tx in advance

• You should have created a baseline (by use of counters) for you servers and database. By checking periodically the workload on the server you can notice if everything is working within acceptable parameters. The average workload on your server is depending on your situation.

You don't need a Performance Dashboard for this, but it will make it more easy to see. The Performance Dashboard is a graphical display of the current workload on the database. You can see at one glance the current workload and you can click through to area's of concern (like waits, long running queries, etc.)

If you google a bit you can find lot about counters and there corresponding values/threshold. Look at server counters for memory, physical disk, processor, etc. and SQL counters for buffer manager, transactions/sec., lock waits, etc.

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
  • MS offers a performance dashboard report collection here.

While it might not be exactly what you're looking for I think you can get some usefull ideas for your own reports by looking through the code.

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• thank you.

• thank you.

• i did check that..it mostly talks about using performance dashboard rpt..i would like to know how to calcultae buffer cache hit ratio using dashboard and also to calculate pages/sec using dashbaord rpt

• iqtedar (11/11/2008)

i did check that..it mostly talks about using performance dashboard rpt..i would like to know how to calcultae buffer cache hit ratio using dashboard and also to calculate pages/sec using dashbaord rpt

Cache hit ratio and pages per sec you can get from windows performance monitor. But cache hit ratio for example is included in the main report and if you look at the queries behind the reports in the dashboard you will find the queries used to get that information.

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• It would be interesting to see what DBA are running daily on their system for their own performance reports.

Waits...statistics..

Connections

What they compare on a daily basic.....

What they capture and do you build your own tables....

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply