Question on SSMS backward compatibility

• I have a question about the backward compatibility of the latest version of SSMS, has anyone come across issues when working on earlier versions of SQL Server, i.e. 2008 or later? What I'm after are any situations when earlier versions of SSMS had to be used instead of the SSMS 18.X.

😎

It would also be helpful if anyone has come across issues using the latest version of SSMS with earlier versions of other SSMS services.

• I haven't used SSMS 18 against any 2008 instances, but I still use it against a 2012 instance (which should be getting switched off later this year) and never had any issues, and I've been using SSMS 18 more or less since it can out of preview. SSMS 19 doesn't seem to have any problems with 2012 either when I did a little experimentation.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• it will have issues with connecting to prior SSIS instances.

for plain SQL database/dba access it should be fine with 2008 - maybe not 2005.

latest versions also have the "debug" option removed - although in some weird cases (mine for example at work pc) debug is still available.

• I have one SQL 2008 R2 left, 3 - SQL 2012, the majority are 2016 with 4 or 5 2017/2019 instances.  I shut off the last 2005 box.

The issues are more so with features that do not exist in the older versions, not with the latest version of SSMS.  There are no real issues I have encountered with the day to day things on the old server.  That being said, these are all legacy systems with nothing being changed. If the backups work, we are good.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Thank you guys for the response, much appreciated!

😎

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply