"Question of the Day" is about:

• Sorry to miss out on the 5 points but I do use QOTD as a way to judge my skills. Also, it is quite possible to select a wrong answer after reading up on the related subject matter.

I think the best answer was absent: To increase one's knowledge of SQL Server.

• Well, i think this should have been a multiple choise question. πŸ™‚

I use it to:

- learn something new

- judge my skills

- gain some points to brag about

/HΓ₯kan Winther
    MCITP:Database Developer 2008
    MCTS: SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance
    MCSE: Data Platform

• I'll cancel this question and award back points to everyone.

I let this go, for the simple reason that I wanted this discussion. I added 5 points to hopefully generate some emotion and thought on the issue. It seems to have worked.

The QOD is a funny beast, and there are all sorts of ways it can be used, and conflicting ideas of how it should be used. I wanted to get some idea from those of you that answer this regularly, and this works better than a survey, unfortunately.

If you didn't like this, let that be a lesson. Answer more surveys, at least from me πŸ˜›

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/30/2012)

I wanted to get some idea from those of you that answer this regularly, and this works better than a survey, unfortunately.

If you didn't like this, let that be a lesson. Answer more surveys, at least from me πŸ˜›

But if you're using it as a surrogate survey, you're not getting people's actual opinions about the QOTD. You're getting their guesses about which answer they think the setter of the question was looking for.

I'll cancel this question and award back points to everyone.

With all due respect, and in my humble opinion, you should leave it in. I like how it served to expose some people who think the points are the be all and end all on the site. Granted, the question was rather open ended, and maybe all the answers can be correct depending on the user. However having only one answer actually be "correct" was the only way to generate the discussion you appear to have been looking for.

Of course, I'm sure there will be a bunch of new postings where people are upset that you tricked people into giving their opinions or showing their true colors. I guess you can't please everyone.

Well Steve,

I don't like this at all.

But anyway, your site, your thinking, your decision....NP

Regards and Cheers.

• archie flockhart (7/30/2012)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/30/2012)

I wanted to get some idea from those of you that answer this regularly, and this works better than a survey, unfortunately.

But if you're using it as a surrogate survey, you're not getting people's actual opinions about the QOTD. You're getting their guesses about which answer they think the setter of the question was looking for.

True, but I'm getting an idea of what they think the QOTD is about in the discussion. Not from everyone, but this is better than most surveys or other questions.

• Bob Razumich (7/30/2012)

With all due respect, and in my humble opinion, you should leave it in. I like how it served to expose some people who think the points are the be all and end all on the site. Granted, the question was rather open ended, and maybe all the answers can be correct depending on the user. However having only one answer actually be "correct" was the only way to generate the discussion you appear to have been looking for.

Of course, I'm sure there will be a bunch of new postings where people are upset that you tricked people into giving their opinions or showing their true colors. I guess you can't please everyone.

Yep, already are.

The question will stay up, but I'll mark it so it doesn't count against your points in any way. Not that it matters to all, but it does to some.

• iBar (7/30/2012)

Well Steve,

I don't like this at all.

But anyway, your site, your thinking, your decision....NP

Regards and Cheers.

because...

Yep, already are.

The question will stay up, but I'll mark it so it doesn't count against your points in any way. Not that it matters to all, but it does to some.

To me, the points are mostly immaterial... I'd love to show up in the top 100 points holders one day, but as long as I continue to post here, I probably will.

What has always mattered to me was the percentage of questions I've gotten correct. I have a personal goal to keep my % correct value above the site's average, and I hate questions like these that turn into crap shoots.

I probably should just skip them, but I also promised myself that I wouldn't skip any going forward because they all become learning experiences. πŸ™‚

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

Just curious, are we talking about the surveys on the homepage? I answer those almost every week.

Are there other surveys? If they come via email, oddly about 50% of the emails SSC sends me during the week never make it. Forum replies do, but the daily email seems to get caught in the company spam filter, which makes no sense, but is a real pain to get IT to release that kind of stuff.

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA

• mtassin (7/30/2012)

What has always mattered to me was the percentage of questions I've gotten correct. I have a personal goal to keep my % correct value above the site's average, and I hate questions like these that turn into crap shoots.

I guess I should clarify, when I look at the %'s on the site, I get to look at my points attempted vs awarded. That's the only % of correct questions I have to go on. I went back several years of questions trying to answer them all to my best ability, but stopped once I got back a couple years because it's a pain to figure out where I left off πŸ™‚

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA

• The QotD is not also about judging our skills?

Best regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto

Database Analyst
    http://www.softplan.com.br
    MCITPx1/MCTSx2/MCSE/MCSA

• codebyo (7/30/2012)

The QotD is not also about judging our skills?

It could be, but we don't really do a detailed analysis on whether the questions do that. They're often written from a particular point of view, so if you are thinking/approaching the problem differently, you get the wrong answer. Not because of skill, but because of point of view.

• Darn, one of the few times I didn't Google first, just guessed and got it wrong. :-D. I don't care about points. QotD is a great way for me to learn new things about SQL.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply