Question of the Day 1/13/04

• I rarely take objection to the questions and answers in QOD but I've got to on this one.

I work in a highly firewalled environment which can very often be a challenge to server-to-server connectivity. We usually test out multiple-server systems on the same network to eliminate the possible firewall problems prior to deployment. Once we are sure there are no configuration problems (Step 1) we then move the servers to the networks they will be homed on and monitor the firewall traffic between the two to get an idea of the ports we might need to open for the system to work (Step 2). Once we have this information we then decide if we need to move one or both servers, make a registry change (as suggested in the QOD) or open the firewall ports with a specific client-to-client rule.

The question makes several assumptions about the status of these two hypothetical servers. In my experience, it is best to take nothing for granted and start with the simplest solution first.

-- J.T.

"I may not always know what I'm talking about, and you may not either."

• I agree completly with jtshyman. The very first thing to do is make sure that the firewall is a factor at all. It could be something completly different. Moving the server to the same network is easy to do and removes a whole lot more questions than 'a registry setting'

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply